chapter three

The day I stepped back onto the Starvroce property was a cool spring day. Early in the morning. I drove three miles from my university to be here. I look up at the grand doors. Rembering the times when I was younger running in and out.

"Close the door, Starla." dad would always yell,"you weren't born in a barn. "

I smile as I look up at the windows. This was home, I have missed it so much.

"Look at you," I trun toward his voice

"Uncle Jas"

I smile. He hadn't changed a bit still as tall and as handsome as ever. I wrap my arms around his neck as we hug.

"You're every bit of your mother," he tells me. "You ready?" he asked

I take a deep breath "yes"

"You know you can still come stay with us. We have the room."

"This is home," I tell him, truning to the old white wash house

We climb the wrap around pouch that I would run on as a child. Taking out the key, I unlocked the door for the first time in six years. Dust and cobwebs stir around as we enter.

"Needs a little cleaning," Uncle Jas says

I nod. "It's good to be back, though."

My eyes dart around the huge front room. Drit and cobwebs caked the floors and walls. Besides that, it looked as if it hadn't been touched. I walked through to the kitchen, and it was the last place I had seen both my parents together. The huge dining room table still sits there, ready for us to take or seat.

"Dad always sits right here," I say

"He was a good man," Uncle Jas says. I nod. "Do you want to go over the documents now or wait?" he asked

"I think I'll wait, I need to clean up,"

"I can send someone over to help," he offers

I shake my head. "I rather do it myself."

"You sure it's a huge house?"

"If I get overwhelmed, I'll give Moria a call,"

"OH, she'll love that," he says jokingly

I laugh, truning to him. "Thank you, Uncle Jas,"

He pulls me into a hug. "You sure you're ok all alone?"

I smile "yeah"

"Alright, if you need anything, don't hesitate to call."

I nod, giving me a gentle squeeze. He releases me and starts away, leaving me to my memories. I could almost hear daddy saying, "Are you paying attention, Starla?"

"Yes, Daddy, I'm paying attention," I say out loud, smiling.

I find the cleaning supplies and start up to my room. That will be the first thing to clean. Memory's of my younger years and momma coming in helping me dress rush through me upon entering my room. It still had the same queen size bed with big blue roses on the covers and millions of pillows that were arranged in different sizes all blue to match the color of the roses. My two rose pillows and, of course, the suff animals that I couldn't part with. My vanity was still covered with makeup bushes and palettes that hadn't been opened. I bet they are dried up now. I smile at the note that still was posted on the mirror. 'Starla, don't forget we can have toast today, Moria.' I laugh. It was an inside joke.

The old dresses were empty. I had taken all my clothes with me. I will have to get rid of most of this stuff and replace it with new things. After cleaning the bedroom and bathroom, I head downstairs to the kitchen. It's when I get there I realize I don't have any food in the house. Digging my phone out, I diel Moria's number.