18. Heartaches (AV POV)

Avrille POV;

What even was his problem- 

I think to myself as I walk back into my lab and back to my desk, bringing my fingers to the rims of the beakers filled with arrays of colors

"It's not me."

I pick up the glasses to mix them

"Is it?"

surely I'm not the 'best sister' but I'm not that bad...  I look at the purple mixing in the small glass, fizzing as it swirls....

I think back to what my parents told me when I was little

~

I was no older than 7, holding the silky red ribbon in my hands from the science fair, smiling at it as the other contestant was handed a blue ribbon. The crowd starts to clap for the two of us, I to clapped for the winner but in the corner of my eye I see two unsatisfied faces looking back.

We get off of the stage and I head to my mom for a hug and she moves out of the way and starts walking with my dad, her arms crossed against her chest, denying my attempt at a hug. I trip a bit but speed-walk after them.

"Mamma! Dad! .... Mum?" I tug at my mums long flowing skirt as we head to the car 

"Was I good?" I look up to her as she turns around

"Not good enough... ugh... Look , kid , do you want to be loved?" 

"y-yeah...?" 

"Then you have to work for it, you can't put us to shame and still be loved" she snickers coldly, sitting in the drivers seat as if it were something I knew... or everybody knew...

I can't help but frown at my red ribbon, sitting in the car as dad drove home, I held the ribbon out the window as it flowed in the wind.... and let it go. 

~

I'm not a bad person I just do what I have to do... I'm just the family jewel.

I'm the golden child. I'm their favorite and I can't lose that to...

.

.

.

I hear yelling and fumbling from the other room, I quickly stagger to my cane and limp over to his room. He's tossing and turning, yelling in a scared hysterical manner, he was just having a bad dream. 

I shake him awake and soon enough he wakes up barely enough "wake up... _____ wake up..." I repeat to him "are you okay?" I say anxiously, not used to being comforting 

he groans confused, still waking up, he didn't hear me. 

"You're screaming just annoyed me." 

I leave playing it off how I usually do, too nervous to be a better person.