Boy or Girls?

It was far better than hospital food or takeout. It wasn't greasy, but still held so much flavor I wasn't sure if I could stop eating. The eggs and pancakes were gone quickly and she refilled my plate, now looking happy even though she didn't smile.

"See Jason. I told you. I make Anna eat and get fat. No problem," she said, speaking at last. Jason chuckled at my horrified look, realizing that was her plan all along. I needed to gain weight for the babies, of course. I had not planned to gain it all in one meal though.

"Can I have more sausage, please?" I asked with a glare, enjoying myself too much to not ask for more even though I would get fat, as she said. Jason chuckled, quite pleased also.

"Yes, Hanjah, you're quite good. You're hired. We need her to gain at least thirty pounds in the next few months," he said, amused at how quickly I was eating. It was absolutely delightful and felt like an edible sin. It shouldn't have been legal for food to taste so good.

"Don't worry, Miss. I teach you how to cook. You cook on Wednesday and Friday for your husband and baby. I teach you not to poison them," she offered helpfully. Jason choked a bit on his food, trying not to laugh at the old lady or my death glare.

"Thanks, Hannah. That would be great," I said with a trace of bitterness at the dig, but still excited to learn how to cook. It would be far less overwhelming to only cook on a few days as opposed to all of them anyway.

"Why are you dressed so informally? No big fancy meeting to run off to today?" I asked, deciding I was quite the fan of the casual look. Jason looked good in anything, best shirtless, but he didn't look like a total slob in his casual wear either.

"Today's the babies' doctor's appointment. It should be far easier to get a good look at those little ones now that they are bigger. We should be able to see the genders too," Jason said with a rare show of excitement, putting his hand on my stomach that was rounding mainly due to pancakes right now since I was still early.

"Right. Doctor's appointment. I remember," I said, not remembering that I had an appointment. Anytime I forgot something, I would panic, worrying my memory was going to evaporate, even though it only seemed to have gotten better. I was waiting excitedly for another memory from the past to show up and hoping it was a good one next time. Surely, my life wasn't all bad.

The doctor's office we went to was nothing like the hospital, and the small office was far warmer and more inviting. The nurse had me stand on the scale and tusked disapprovingly. I wanted to snarl at her that I was in an accident, so it wasn't my fault I didn't gain weight. Instead, I restrained myself unwillingly.

The ultrasound tech was far nicer and less judgmental. I halfway expected there to be no baby in the sonogram, but as soon as she turned the machine on and put the wand on me, there were two little angels wiggling next to each other. It took my breath away, and Jason held my hand comfortingly, his eyes locked on the screen also hungrily eating up their every movement.

The technician was quiet for so long, measuring them and looking for whatever it was she was looking for, that I almost forgot she was there just watching the babies.

"So, do you have names picked out?" She asked, not having gotten the memo that I had no memory of.

"Do we?" I asked Jason, not having given any thought to names.

"No. We need to work on that. First, I suppose we need to know the genders," he said pointedly to the technician, who smiled knowingly.

"You both want to know?" She asked, looking to me. I had no idea if I wanted to know! Did I want to know? I felt like I needed to ask her if I should want to know but felt that would sound stupid.