chapter four

I finally got the house back in order and hired on some help to help take care of it. The only room in the house that I had not opened up was my parents' bedroom. I was still nervous about going in there. I haven't been out to the docks yet, but I made the calls, and everything seemed OK just a little slow right now. The werehouses were not opened back up yet, but I was going to make sure they got there.

Uncle Jas was over with the paperwork for me to sign. We sat in the dining room as he read them to me.

"Are you listening, Starla?" he asked

"Yes, it's just all happening so fast. Am I ready to take over? " I asked

"This is what your father wanted," he says. "Do you want to wait?" he asked

"Maybe I should speak to Grandpa first," I tell him. "I just don't see how he done it alone."

He smiled "You're father didn't do it alone," he says. "Go talk to your grandpa , I'm sure he can shead some light on things."

I nod standing, I hug him, "Thank you for everything."

He rubs my arm. "You are one of my own"

I head out toward my grandpa's house. I remember going to visit him when I was younger. He would let me play in the yard, but I was never to go near the huge pond. Grandpa loved to fish, and when I got old enough, he would take me out, and we would sit together.

I smiled as I truned down the old gravel road that led me back to his log cabin. It was one of the biggest log cabins I had ever seen when I was little. A two story home made of Sycamore wood. Surrounded by the greenest grass I had ever seen. Dog wood trees and redbud trees dotted the driveway.

I breathed in the fresh sent of honeysuckle that grew wild out back as I got out. Then climb the steps.

His butler answers the door, and I step into his living room that hasn't changed in years. The wicker chairs and sofa to match. Grandpa sits drinking his afternoon tea.

"Look at you," he says, standing

"Grandpa," I say, going around for a hug. "Please sit back down."

"I am fine dear," he says, but I noticed him swaying

He sits anyway. "How does it feel to be back in the house?" he asks

"A little scary," I admit, sitting in one of the chairs

He nods. "And business"

I give him a look. He leans closer to me, taking my hand on his.

"I'm going tell you what I told Aaron years ago before he met your mother," he says. "This business we are in, it's a dangerous one. We can't afford to lose. Our family name is important to us when we die. If we don't have someone to carry our on our legacy, then our point in life has no purpose, " he says,"do you understand? "

"I think so."

"We are not meant to be alone, Starla," he says, "find you a rich man to take care of you. To help guide you."

"Grandpa, I can take care of myself."

He smiles. "I'm sure you can, but with power comes responsibility. Do you think your daddy held so much power for so long all by himself? " he asked

"But momma wasn't." I start, but Grandpa wasn't done

"Your mother was what kept your father from falling apart. At the end of the day, she was what kept him sane." He says, sitting back."I'm old Starla, "he says."I'm not going to be around for much longer. "