o n e

The doctor led me in the room like usual and I followed behind as he slowly opened the door. I heard the familiar faint beeps of the heart monitor, I looked up and nodded at the doctor signaling him I would be fine. I watched him as he closed the door.

"Wait!", I yelled before the doctor walked out of the room. "Yes?", he said turning around. "How long is he going to be like this? I can't handle seeing him this way anymore", I said looking down at my hands and fiddling with my sweater zipper. "I can't promise anything he's been in coma for 3 months now, we have not a hint when he will wake up, most patients can be in coma for a half a year or more.", he stated glancing down at his clipboard. "What if he doesn't wake up", I said biting down my jaw fighting back tears. "Have hope Nia, just think about something positive", he said grinning trying to cheer me up. "Will you be fine alone, I have to check on the patient in the next room", he said looking down at his clipboard again. "Yeah I'm okay and again thanks for everything you do", I said smiling. "No problem, have a nice day Nia", he said smiling big and walking out.

I slowly turned around and flinched at the sight of him. I walked over and sat next to the bed and observed his slow deep breathes. I placed my hand on top of his weak limp hand. I reached up and slid my finger down the huge purple bruise on his jaw and gazed at the big fluffy white bandage on the corner of his forehead, I felt a warm tear fall down my face and my vision started blurring from the tears starting to come. I turned around and faced the chair away from him and sat down and squinted my eyes shut and felt the tears stream down my face and the memories came flooding back like a nightmare.

*3 months ago*

"Hey babe ready to go?", I heard Shawn ring from downstairs. "Yeah!", I yelled back and grabbed my bags and jogged down the stairs. I grinned at Shawn smiling big at how excited he was for this trip. The front door opened behind him and his dad came walking in and looked up at us and smiled big and patted Shawn's back, "Ready?", he said smiling and looking at us. "So ready dad!", Shawn yelled cheerfully like a little kid. "Let's get the truck loaded up then", he said smiling and picking up some bags and opening the front door. I followed behind Shawn and watched my breathe turn into fog as the cold winter air hit me. I watched as Shawn handed his bags to his dad and he flung them in the trunk. Shawn looked back at me with open arms and I smiled and handed him mine and his mom's bags and he handed them to his dad and he threw them in the trunk. "I think that's it", Shawn said looking up at his dad. "Okay hop in the car and we will get going", he said smiling and jumping down from the trunk. I walked behind Shawn and got in behind him and closed the door behind me. "So you excited for your first Mende's family vacation", he said looking over at me smiling wide as we buckled our seat belts. "Very excited", I said laughing and grabbing his hand. The driver door opened and his dad hopped in and put his seatbelt on and turned the key and the engine started. "Where's your mother", Shawn's dad said looking over at the empty passenger seat confused. "I think she was finishing her makeup", I said. "Honk the horn", Shawn chimed in. Shawn's dad honked the horn twice and we all looked at the front door waiting. The front door slung open and I chuckled at her frantic movement and struggling trying to lock the door behind her. Shawn leaned over me and rolled down my window, "Mom hurry up! I wanna be there by sundown!", Shawn yelled. "I'm going! I'm going!", she yelled back and speed walking to the car. "Okay mountains here we come!", Shawn's mom yelled excited as we started driving off. I looked at Shawn and made eye contact with him and chuckled at his huge smile he had spread across his face.

After about 2 hours of driving I felt the car come to a slow stop and the car doors open and close. I felt Shawn start to lightly shake me, "Hey we are at a gas station let's go get some snacks I'm starving.", "Okay", I said taking my head off his shoulder and opening the car door. I hopped out and groaned at the nice feeling of stretching my legs and back. "You know instead of stretching you should shake it feels better", Shawn said and started shaking like a wet dog. I glanced at him weird and started laughing loudly. "What even", I said chuckling and started walking to the gas station. I put my coat over my hand and grabbed the metal door handle and opened the door and Shawn followed behind. The bell above dinged signaling people came in and I scanned the building and you can tell it was old and has been here for awhile. "I have to pee", I said and started looking for the bathroom. "Oh it's right here", Shawn said and was standing pointing at a wooden door. I walked over and Shawn pushed the door open with his one hand and we flinched at the smell and quickly covered our nose. "Jesus what died in here", he muffled through his jacket sleeve. "I don't know but I can hold it", I said quickly and walked away fast. "Talk about vintage gas station", Shawn said smirking. "Eh you're gross", I laughed loud and playfully hit his arm. "What soda do you want", Shawn asked chuckling and walking towards the fridge section. "Um a pepsi", I replied, he nodded and smirked walking away. I grabbed a bag of cookies and chips for Shawn then grabbed a chocolate bar for me. I seen Shawn walk up to the counter and start talking to the lady working. I walked up behind him and set my stuff down on the counter with his. "Is that all?", the lady asked politely. "Yeah that's it", Shawn smiled and grabbed cash out of his back pocket and handed it to the lady. "Have a nice day", the lady said smiling big and handing Shawn the bag. "You too!", Shawn yelled back and smiled as we walked out of the door. "It's so nice out he-", Shawn started to say and next thing I knew we were on the ground and he looked over and started laughing loud. I felt a sharp pain in my butt from landing straight on the ice. "Why'd you drag me down with you?!", I yelled holding my butt and rolling on the ground in pain. "I was trying to catch my balance and you were the closest thing near me!", he yelled back in defense laughing and stood up. "Awh so sorry", he said grinning big and putting his hand out to help me up. "Yeah okay", I said rolling my eyes and grabbing his hand and standing up. "Awh don't be mad", he said laughing and started kissing my cheek making squeaking noises. I laughed loudly and pushed him off me and walked to the car and opened the door, "after you my lady", I said looking at Shawn. "Hey!", he yelled then started laughing and got in. I jumped in behind and shook from the coldness. "You cold?", he asked looking over at me. "Of course", I said laughing. "Good I am too", he said laughing and picking up a blanket from the seat next to him. I felt his arm go around me trying to stretch the blanket around me, I grabbed the other side of the blanket and pulled it around me. "Ahhhh cozy", Shawn said and laid his head on my shoulder. "True", I said laughing and putting my leg in between his and closing my eyes. "Lets get this show on the road again!", Shawn's dad yelled. I opened my eyes and started laughing. "Ok ready", Shawn's mom said buckling her seat belt as we drove off.

"We almost there?", Shawn asked with a mouthful of cookies. "Yes child", his mom said laughing. "Good", he said and looked over at me smiling big and crumbs fell out of his mouth. "Oh my god", I said and laughed loud wiping crumbs off his chin. "Cute", I chuckled and grabbed his cheeks and pulled his face to me and kissed him. "Ahhh you tasted like chocolate", I said licking my lips. "Hey chocolate is your favorite", he said laughing. I laughed and nodded agreeing. "Almost there", his dad spoke up looking over at Shawn's mom and grabbed her hand. I smiled and Shawn whispered "goals", like a complete valley girl. I laughed and looked over at him grinning big trying not to laugh.

We started rounding a bin and I felt the tires start to slide and Shawn's dad let go of Shawn's moms hand and grip the steering wheel. Shawn grabbed my hand quickly and pulled me in his arms "Da-!", Shawn started to yell then I seen a pair of headlights in front of us and tires screeching and everything went black.