chapter one: muggle parties

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Mid-June 1977

"Hurry, James!"

"I'm going, I'm going!" James harshly whispers. His hands cling to the edge of the open window as he climbs out, jumping as quietly as possible onto the roof to not wake his parents.

He slides the window shut but leaves the smallest opening for when they come back.

Sirius is already sitting on the edge of the roof, legs dangling, waiting impatiently for James.

"Moony's gonna leave us behind," Sirius grumbles.

James scoffs as he sits next to him, also dangling his legs off the roof. "He'll live. Come on."

The two take a last look at each other before reaching over to the closest tree, hooking their legs on the thickest branch for support. Once they're both on they take a large leap and land softly on the grass lawn.

It was too easy.

The two walk down a few blocks until they reach their designated meet-up spot, a muggle coffee shop a block away from Peter's house.

Remus and Peter are already there, cigarette smoke slipping from their lips as they speak to one another.

The closer they get the more visible the other two become, leaving Peter to see them first.

"Oi! There they are. Fuckin' finally." The boy teases.

Remus turns and matches Peter's mocking tone, "Did you two get lost or something?"

"Haha. Very funny." Sirius rolls his eyes as he pats Remus on the arm, signaling for a cig.

The boy takes out his pack and hands one to him and James while Peter holds out his lighter.

"Lead the way then, Moony." James crouches the slightest bit to meet the fire and then puffs out a misty cloud of grey.

"And how are we getting to muggle London exactly?" Sirius carries the cigarette between his ring and middle finger as he speaks, but doesn't light it.

"You'll see." Remus looks around, making sure no one is outside watching or strolling by before he pulls his wand out and lifts it in the air, sort of like he was hailing a cab.

The other three friends stare at him puzzled until a sudden swoosh of air almost knocks them to the floor. Looking at the street, a purple triple-decker bus parks in front of them, and a skinny tall man steps out, wearing a disheveled uniform.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. My name's Shunpike Senior and I will be your conductor for this evening."

Sirius and James look at the man like he's grown three heads, while Remus looks smug and Peter's eyes roam the vehicle.

"Welcome aboard."