Prologue.

Manhattan, New York - 2024.

She scans her key card and a green flicker flashes over it as metal bollards begin to rotate. As she walks through the lobby all eyes land on her, but not in the way she's used to.

The eyes that fall on her express a more concerned and almost agitated look, not the look of attraction. It almost confuses her. She's always overdressed, even at home, her pyjamas are laced lingerie.

Her confusion is answered by a woman who most assumes is an angel but in Rose's eyes the "angel" is just Gail. Gail Richards. Her boring, unfashionable, poor, assistant who has been pining for a field agent position for years.

"Miss Underwood?" Gail wheezes as Rose speeds up, "Miss Underwood!" She squeaks, finally catching up, "Gotcha!"

Gail begins to laugh awkwardly, "It's 'agent,'" Rose sighs, "Agent Underwood."

"Yes, Miss--" Rose glares at her, "Yes, Agent Underwood. What was all our struggle for, huh?" She says, beginning to chuckle again.

Rose begins to walk, "What is it you want, Gail?" As Gail begins to speed after her, Rose heads to the elevator, "If you can't get my position here correct and are incapable of keeping the same pace as me physically let alone verbally--"

"Verbally?" She asks as the elevator doors open.

"Why did you insist on chasing me through the lobby this morning?" Rose asks, stepping into the elevator as Gail follows only to feel Rose's hand pushing her back, "You need to be quick, these doors are going to close any second."

"Can't I just--"

"No."

"Miss--"

"Agent," Rose snaps as the elevator doors begin to close.

"Mr. Barnes has left a voicemail for you!" She yells just as the elevator doors finally close.

Gail stands at the elevator doors waiting for it to reach Rose's floor before pressing the button to make it come back while Rose leans her head against the wall of the elevator, letting out an exasperated sigh.

As she looks to her right she makes eye contact with Agent Hill.

"I honestly can't tell if your sass is ego or self-confidence or just downright arrogance."

"Do you remember when I had you bundle my phone service?"

Maria glances at her confused, "When I combined your phone bill, your data plan, and your Wi-Fi so you could see the exact total on the bank statement?"

"Yeah, that. That's what you need to do with those traits. Bundle them and you'll have your answer," she smirks, stepping out of the elevator.

"All I'm saying is you could be nicer to the girl. She cleans up behind you and regardless of her position here at SHIELD, she is still here at SHIELD," Maria sighs, "She looks up to you, Rose."

"Because she has never worn a pair of heels." She snaps and attempts to storm off but is grabbed by Maria, "What do you think you're doing?"

"The meeting? To discuss this week's mission assignments for the Avengers?" Maria says, dumbfounded that Rose had forgotten.

"That's today?"