(2) An Old Ominous Friend

The thestral carriage pulls along the road towards Hogwarts Castle and away from my little apartment in Hogsmeade. The whole Summer after I graduated, I've been avoiding the large building with halls that run for miles to no end. The occasional connection to this place I cannot avoid is the looks of students visiting Hogsmeade from time to time, a famous face I've become. When I get into the carriage a man with stark blonde hair sits on the purple cushions and I study my old friend, now much more rugged and handsome than I expected.

Holding the letter in my hand I begin, "You look good."

Silence, he doesn't say anything for quite a while, "We're just here for Sebastian, no need for small talk."

Sighing, I knew Ominis would still hold a grudge against me. The air grows more suffocating by the minute and the guilt begins to creep into all the hollow spaces in my bones.

"I did it for a reason, Ominis."

More silence, God this man knows exactly how to torture me.

"Ominis-"

He exhales, irritated, "Gene- Miss Hornsby, I'd hope you knowing my affiliation with the Ministry of Magic would urge you to keep yourself out of this kerfuffle."

I get the hint, reluctantly, if I give him any information regarding my aid in Sebastian's escape he would not have a choice but to place me under investigation too. He's protecting me.

I look into his pale-faded eyes as he faces out into the green landscape rushing by, "Ominis-"

"It's Mr. Gaunt," He rectifies.

"Look...Mr. Gaunt," I say exasperated, rolling my eyes, "I'm not going to just give you Sebastian."

He places a hand on my knee, and I breathe in, surprised with the sudden change.

"Genevieve...You know Sebastian needs to learn from his consequences, and without-"

I grab his hand and place it in his lap with my hand resting atop, "I know, but Ominis - Mr. Gaunt, you have never been to Azakaban. It'll ruin him."

The image of Anne Thisbe comes to mind and the way she looked beaten and torn, her limbs stretched beyond its limits. She must have once been beautiful.

I plead, looking at Ominis and he can sense it because he encloses my hands within his.

"At least, think about it," He insists.

Think about it he says, I repeat in my head. I can't, I couldn't, I couldn't ever. These feelings I've been trying to hide come creeping back, the echo of a lost friend I need to protect, but of another one who is here for me, right now.

I lean back and take wrap my arms around my tree-shaped frame, hippogriffs come from the dark and looming forest to our right, fleeing almost. Memories of me and Sallow's first trip to Hogsmeade invade every space of my mind from when he showed me the glowing lacewing flies, and we bonded together about our losses over thestrals. I've always thought rather than a curse, it was an honour to see those grey skinned creatures. Every creature deserved to be seen, as is every human. I keep this locked away, an excuse for me helping Sebastian.

"I-" hesitating, conflicted and I certainly show it.

Though, before I can respond 'no' my mind thinks of this as a sign. I could find Sebastian, warn him about Ominis and other Aurors coming after him.

"Yes," I express determinedly.

The large turrets come into view and the iron gates lift to welcome us back to our old home away from home. The place full of secrets that will eat you out from the inside and magical elements that will make your mind run wild with hunger.

Ominis-Mr. Gaunt's mouth curves up at the end and he exclaims, "Well then, guess it's time to go back to where it all started."

Great, I think, the trouble's about to begin.