Prologue

Many say that life is nothing but a cruel game

That in all her beauty and grace, life is unfair to those who try to live morally within her bounds, only to wind up being the ones to be pushed over the edge in the end. To cop the blow while injustice reigns in the hands of the perpetrator. That once you've met your undesirable demise, it's over.

Second chances are unheard of, don't get given away freely like menial handouts. The cat never saw past its ninth life to finally pounce on that golden bird it's been eyeing off for eternity, so why would anyone else be viable? No once you're gone, you stay gone.

Reality is one big slap in the face in that respect.

Funny then..

Funny then how life, as straightforward as she is questionable, has a way of catching her players off guard..

It's almost laughable really at how such a cataclysm of events, of petty discrepancies seasoned by a good dose of cowardly violence, could lead to such an ever changing outcome. Never in their small, miserable lives would they have fathomed that such a thing was possible.

That against all odds, they indeed somehow earned that invaluable second breath when they were almost certain that their time on this worldly plane was up...

And little did they know that along with that exemption from death, also came the birth of something more profound in nature within each of them..

Something that – dare I say – went as far as breaching the very confines of mortality as we know it.

Three figures emerged from a dense sea of bark and foliage, the accumulations of an endless woodland

Its trees, which mainly consisted of various species of maple and oak, eventually cut away to form the natural circumference of a wide spanning clearing, carpeted by lush green grasses. With the daytime waning on them, the small entourage swiftly ventured towards the very center of it, determined and alert.

The wind, which had been steadily picking up at the time of their arrival, brushed over them, almost like an inaudible welcome as it ruffled bits of their clothing. The seemingly kind gesture though failed to deter the ever present caution that clung to them like an itchy second skin.