42 - Reliving the Past

~ "𝑺𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒚 𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆? 𝑭𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔?"

𝑰𝒏 𝒂 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅, 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒑𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒏 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒔𝒆, 𝒃𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒈𝒂𝒛𝒆. "𝑩𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒎𝒚 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒆. " 𝑨𝒎𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒂'𝒔 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒑𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒏 𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒄 𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒑𝒐. "𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌."~

****
It was loud.

Amelia could not believe her ears. Or her eyes. What on earth was this? People, all over, in flashy clothes were dancing, some while holding a cup, others holding bottles. Myriad of different coloured lights flashed in the building as the DJ yelled before changing the song to another groove.

Amelia found herself surrounded by a cacophony of screams that seemed to blend together into a deafening roar. For a moment, Amelia thought she had finally lost her hearing. But then, Lola leaned in close and shouted, "This is my definition of fun!" into her ears causing her to jolt. Nope, her ears were still working fine.

She hadn't recovered from that when Lola tugged her by the arm, abruptly. "Come on." Like a puppet without weight, she got dragged through people who were twisting like snakes and making unearthly sounds. "Four bottles of my usuals, LJ." Lola's voice snapped her attention to the tall, more like long, red haired guy who had a black outfit on and a gray apron tied around his waist.

His eyes swept to her side briefly and her stomach coiled. He smirked before sliding his eyes back to Lola who winked at him. Under two minutes, he produced four glistening bottles of different colored liquids and dropped it in front of them.

"Thanks, LJ." Lola's voice dropped to a low octave in the obnoxiously loud building as she leaned to whisper into LJ's ear. Amelia didn't think the whispering worked out because she caught everything that dropped from her lips. "Outside, later." Then she pecked him and Amelia just looked away.

"Here." A cold dark bottle got pressed into her hand, the cover already gone. Amelia raised her brows. "It's a drink." She still stared. "You drink it, like raise it to your lips and —"

"I know how to take a drink, Lola."

She shrugged as she opened up one. "So, what's with the look?"

Amelia bit her lip. "I don't know. This just feels weird." She had seen her father and brother drink stuff like this, once or twice, when they were thinking and very much when her mum died and knew how they sort of zoned out. "It feels like it's too much, and wron—"

Lola rolled her eyes and started walking away. " I knew you were a bore."

That caused anger to ripple through her and she grabbed Lola by an arm. "No. Wait." Lola stopped, one slim brow raised. Amelia took in a breath. If her father and brother did it, she could do it. And it's not like they died. Without thinking it through again, she took a chug.

She blinked, expecting it to make her cry or something. But nothing happened. It actually tasted sweet. Lola's dark lips lifted at the corner, a twinkle in her eye. "See? Good right?"

She took another gulp. "Very." Then let go of Lola to actually savor the drink as she cradled the bottle. Lola saw some people she knew and waved heartily at them before leaving to greet them. Amelia, already enjoying herself with the drink, decided not to care and went ahead to open another.