In the beginning

In the beginning, Itai Miriro was just an ordinary girl. Several times in the morning, afternoon and evening (even the middle of the night!), she would get up and check herself in the mirror, asking herself what was unattractive about her. Her body structure wasn't all that appealing. She had nice legs, she was lighter in complexion than most girls but she was flat. Her hips didn't stand out like the others, her chest was a no-go area and her rear was a nonstarter. Her face though, she was cute. Everyone called her cute. She had small lips which resembled a squirrel whenever she was eating. Her front teeth were big which earned her nickname Beaver. She had two pairs of canine teeth, her younger brother called them vampire teeth. She had a round button nose which scrunched up whenever she smiled, her younger brother also made fun of that. Her shoulders were broad compared to other girls in class though.

Her hair, well, that was one thing that fascinated her. Her hair was very long and curly. She had the thickest, voluminous in her class if not the entire school (the length and volume of a girl's hair determined her social standing). Her hair was naturally curly but she if combed it hard enough, it would be straight. Her hair was hard to tame though, it seemed to increase in volume by the year. As such, she always had it plaited into a hundred or so lines. It reached past her shoulders and when she bent down, her hair would fall over her face and cover her side view. It was black with a tinge of brown but black nonetheless. Most girls envied her hair, they had said so but even that wasn't enough to gain the attention of anyone.

At first, she craved the attention of boys but once she was ignored for over ten years by said gender, she wanted to have the attention of girls but none of them gave her their attention. She wasn't homosexual, no. She was perfectly straight. She was just lonely, without anyone to share her crazy ideas which seemed to work in her favour. Her best friend, Maita, was popular too but the popularity didn't shine on her. Maita was a short girl, a bit chubby but with a figure that had heads turning in her direction. This led to the headturners looking at the shapeless girl walking beside Maita (herself), comparing the two of them and how she was flat in comparison to her best friend. She wouldn't let that stop her from walking with her best friend. Itai was dark in complexion, a little bit on the light side than the chocolate-colored popular girl Anoona. She had naturally long lashes and her eyes had that natural curve at the edges, which most girls would use makeup to further enhance their eyes. But still, it didn't catch anyone's attention. She felt like if she disappeared for a lifetime, no one would notice.

Her parents would notice though, naturally. She was the first born in a family of eight, with five other children coming from a different mother. They were cool though, there was no bad blood between them and their mothers were friends. They just didn't live in the same house. Their father spent most of his time away at work and the whole family would meet together when he came back. She lived with her two younger siblings, Simba, the boy who followed after her who was also her father's first and oldest son then her younger sister Kundai. Her mother, Danai, worked as an accountant at GDD Bank. Her other mother, Portia, worked as an accountant at DEFF Motors, so they were both accountants. The sibling who came after her was Portia's first born, Wadzanai (in short Wadza) who was also a girl. They were only a month and five days apart. After that, Simba was in line followed by a boy from Portia called Nathan. Her younger sister, Kundai came next then another girl called Chelsea, another boy called Victor and lastly a girl called Yeukai. She was barely a year old.

That was basically her life at home. Wadza understood her but they couldn't be together most times. This was majorly because her maternal grandmother, Tsitsi, had some sort of personal vendetta against Portia and her children so she was prohibited from having much contact with them. Honestly, she didn't understand the old woman's sentiments. Those children were awesome and great to have around. She was going to wait until she died, give or take two years since one of her lungs collapsed.