𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

[RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT ME]

0.0 || prologue

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

"You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Noah, you don't need to call me every time I lock up on my own. It's Beacon Hills. Nothing ever happens. And if we're totally honest, none of the criminals in this town are smart enough to actually pull anything off. Plus, I have the pepper spray you gave me; the knowledge of how to break someone's nose and my car is ten feet away from me. I'm fine." 

Ainsley wedges her phone between her ear and her shoulder as she talks, simultaneously pulling the keys out of the pocket of her apron. She steps out of the diner, pulling the door shut behind her as she locks it. "I wouldn't have to call you if you'd stop offering to lock up alone this late at night." Her Uncle retorts and Ainsley rolls her eyes.

"You do realise that you being on the phone wouldn't stop anyone from mugging me, right?" She asks as she pulls the keys out of the door.

"I'd like to remind you that the alternative is I send a deputy over to watch you lock up and escort you home." Noah responds.

"What exactly is the difference between me locking up alone and me locking up with Rose? She's pretty far from a deputy?" She asks as she walks over to her car, dropping the keys for the diner into her bag before rummaging around for her car keys.

"You're not alone." 

"Oh, because there being two five foot four girls present is gonna be what stops a criminal. Because Rose is so imposing." Ainsley remarks dryly as she looks for her keys. "Look, I'm getting in my car, can we hang up so I can drive home or are you going to ask me to break the law too?" She asks.

"Text me when you get home." Noah says.

"Yes, Sheriff." She responds, her tone thick with sarcasm, smiling in amusement at the exasperated huff on the other end of the phone. "Yes, okay, I promise. Love you." 

"Love you too, Ains." Noah responds before the blonde hangs up, putting her phone down on top of her car as she opens her bag fully to look for her keys. 

She glances up and over her shoulder with a slight frown when she hears footsteps before shrugging it off and looking back down at her bag. Ainsley grabs her keys when she finds them just as she hears footsteps behind her again and she hesitates slightly before grabbing the pepper spray as she turns around.

"Laura?" 

Ainsley looks at the other girl with a confused frown as the werewolf walks towards her shushing her. "Why are you shushing me? There's nobody else here."

"You never know when someone's listening." Laura retorts and Ainsley narrows her eyes at the brunette.

"You never- That's the stupidest thing you've ever said." She says plainly and Laura rolls her eyes. "What are you doing here?" 

"Someone lured me back. There was a dead deer found out in the preserve." Laura says as she glances over her shoulder.

"With a spiral carved into it, yeah, I know. My Uncle told me." Ainsley says and Laura looks back at her with a frown.

"Why did he tell you?" Laura asks.

"Because they found it near your old house so, he wanted to know if there was a reason it was left there but I reminded him the only Hale in town was Peter and unless he knew how to miraculously wake someone from a coma, there wasn't much point in following up on the matter." Ainsley responds and Laura sighs. "Why do you look so wigged? It's a dead deer. It's not a sign of the apocalypse." 

"With a spiral carved into it. It's our symbol for revenge." Laura says.

"Okay, so, a werewolf wants revenge. Big deal. I'm sure there are lots of angsty, vengeful werewolves." Ainsley says.

"In Beacon Hills? Who would make sure I got the message?" Laura asks.

"Well, okay, that probably shortens the list. But why do you look so freaked? You're a werewolf and an alpha. The Hale Alpha as a matter of fact." Ainsley says.

"You're right. I know. I just- It's been quiet since the Fire. Really quiet. No werewolf issues, no supernatural issues. We haven't even had any hunter-related issues. So, for this to happen out of the blue, I'm just worried it means something's coming." Laura says.

"Laura, it's probably nothing. Like you said, there's been no werewolf stuff until now, so sudden werewolf stuff has put you on edge. Just go home. Tell Derek it's fine. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if anything happens." Ainsley says and Laura nods. 

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right. Promise me you'll call me the second you hear anything." Laura says.

"Yes, I promise. My Uncle will tell me the second anything does anyway." Ainsley says.

"Okay. Yeah. But you're okay, right? And Peter? Everything's okay otherwise?" Laura asks.

"Well, Peter's comatose but aside from that, everything's just dandy." Ainsley says and Laura sighs softly with another brief nod. 

"Yeah, okay. I might just go see him and then go home. Maybe another sweep through the Preserve. Just to be sure." The brunette says.

"I don't really think it's necessary but if it would make you feel better, then yes, go for it. I'm not working until tomorrow afternoon, so, I was going to go see him in the morning. If you want, you can meet me there." Ainsley offers and Laura nods.

"Yeah, okay. Meet you at the care facility at ten?" Laura asks.

"Sure, ten. Do you want to stay at mine?" The blonde asks.

"No, I've got a hotel room and I'm gonna go out to the Preserve now. I'll see you in the morning." The Alpha says and Ainsley nods a little.

"Okay, I'll see you in the morning." Ainsley says and Laura nods again, hesitating for a second as she glances around before walking away and Ainsley sighs softly, grabbing her phone off the top of her car as she unlocks it before sliding into the driver's seat.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.