02

The next morning, I wake up to knocking on the front door of the guest house. I stand up, forgetting where I am for a second. I open the door, leaving it open a crack and see Emma standing at the doorway.
She sighs and pushes past me without saying a word. I awkwardly try to find myself coverage, not wanting her to see me in my boxers.
"Chill out, Mendes. You look fine." She barely even glances at me, still distracted by her cellphone, but I think I can see her roll her dark brown eyes at me. I grab my jeans from the floor and leave my white t-shirt on, heading to the bathroom to change.
When I come back, she's seated on the edge of the bed, staring at the wall as if she's in deep thought.
"Sit," she says as she pats the spot in the bed next to her, not looking away from the wall. I sit next to her and place my clasped hands in my lap. She turns to face me and crosses her legs, "So what school do you go to, Mendes?" She asks me, staring deep into my eyes. I look away nervously and clear my throat.
"I went to Wyndham," -truth "then I graduated early this May as a Junior." - lie. "What about you?" I ask quickly.
"Online classes, just finished today's class." She says quietly, while playing with her fingers. We sit in an uncomfortable silence and I find it hard to avert my eyes from her eyes or even her face because she's so inexplicably beautiful.
"Hey Mendes," she says and her eyes light up as she places her hand just above my knee. I look up and try to hide the heat rising to my face. "Let's go shopping." She says, smiling. I raise an eyebrow at her, and smirk.
She giggles as she playfully pushes my chest. "Of course I'm serious. And not for me, silly. For you." I look down at my clothes and then back up at her.
"My clothes are fine,"I chuckle and she sighs. "Yeah, fine for a homeless guy," she pauses and then laughs, "And plus, what better way to spend my dad's money than on a cute boy?" She winks at me as she walks out, and I feel my cheeks turn scarlet. I find myself smiling only a few moments later and notice my heart racing like one of those hopeless romantics in chick flicks.
I reach over to my backpack to grab my headphones, and find one of the blunts sitting there at the bottom of my backpack. I look around, thinking I have a few minutes to spare and head out the wooden back door of the guest house.

I'm nearly halfway done when I turn to see Emma leaning against the doorframe, her arms crossed and a gentle grin playing on her face.
She walks up to me and grabs the blunt, throwing it into the snow. She pushes her hair off the sides of her face with her hands and looks down, stepping on the rolled-up paper.
"Hey!" I yell in annoyance. She looks at me and starts laughing, covering her mouth with her hand. "Marijuana is actually better for you than cigarettes." I state and she just stares at me, still smiling.
"What?" I ask her, shoving my hands into my pockets. She leans against the wall and stares at me intently. "Marijuana may be better for your health," she pauses, "but you'd put all your brain cells to waste," she pauses for a moment, "that is, if you have any." Her lips curve upwards, forming into a smirk and I look away awkwardly.
"I do have brain cells left, for your information." I state, licking my lips as we stand in silence, our breaths quickly turning into white fogs as we exhale. She looks up and squints at the sky.
"Come on," she demands, leading me into her driveway.
"You know how to drive, Mendes?" She looks over at me as we stand in front of the black Range Rover.
"I, uh, no." I say as I scratch the back of my neck in embarrassment. "Do you?" I ask her as she opens the door and steps into the car.
"Nope."