No Bears

I grunted when I was woken up by the beast kicking my shoulder. Rubbing my eyes, I rolled over to tiredly look up. The giant dropped a waterskin on my stomach, making me grunt again from the weight of it.

  "Fuckin' beast." I pushed myself to sit up and grabbed the waterskin. Opening it to take a drink, a chitter came from beneath the beast's mask. "Thank you."

  The giant made sure that I drank some more before he left the cave. As soon as he stepped into the sunlight, he disappeared with a slight distortion of the air. I paused as my brows knit together.

  So he truly could become invisible? I half thought the infection had caused me to misremember those events from when I was tied to the tree. I'd need to be careful with him having such a trick at his disposal.

  Groaning while rubbing my hand over my face, I woke up more as the sun climbed higher in the sky outside. Running a hand through my hair, I sighed through my nose and set the waterskin to the side. I brushed my fingers through my hair before I set to braiding it to keep it out of the way. I didn't want to have to dig leaves out of my hair again the next time I went to bathe.

  I stood up and walked toward the opening of the cave. My bare feet felt the warm stone beneath me, and I raised my arms over my head to stretch out my limbs. The breeze swept across my exposed skin and reminded me of how terribly I was dressed.

  While the leather trousers had good coverage, the pelt over my chest left most of my stomach, back, and arms visible. My only saving grace from shame was the fact that we were out in the wilds.

  Taking a few steps forward, the rock gave way to soil with patches of grass. Digging my toes into the dirt, I felt a smile pull at my lips and placed my hands on my hips. I closed my eyes and turned my face toward the sky. I soaked in the sunlight while taking deep breaths.

  No more ropes, no more annoying laughter, and no more drunken men. There was finally peace and quiet away from the trappers.

  Lowering my head, I looked at my leg while rubbing my hand over where the bullet scar was. I wasn't certain how extensive the beast's medicine was. I should probably exercise my leg to avoid muscle degradation. I'd seen what atrophy could do and didn't want that to happen to me.

  Glancing back into the cave, I went to grab the waterskin, then headed back out for a walk. I went in the direction the beast had taken me toward the river while being mindful of where I stepped. Having lost my shoes during my escape from the Frenchmen, I didn't have as much protection on my feet as before.

  However, having grown up on a farm, I often ran barefoot as a child, so I thankfully didn't have that delicate of feet either. Going between the trees, I began to hear flowing water. I didn't go all of the way to the river but instead walked while keeping it within hearing distance. I wouldn't get lost if I could follow the river back to familiar scenery.

  The fresh air free of tobacco smoke and the scent of sweat filled my lungs and made me relax. I had forgotten how peaceful the quiet could be. When tied out as bait, the quiet was dangerous, but here, like this, it was bliss.

  I ran my fingers over the leaves of a bush, the touch validating that this was reality and not some dream I would wake up from and find myself back inside that reeking cage. After every foiled attempt, I was finally free.

  And I was alive.

  As I was walking around the forest, I began to feel as if I was being watched. I glanced around only to find that I was alone. Had I become paranoid after what all the trappers put me through?