I. Homecoming

Chapter One, Homecoming

   Nestled between rolling hills where wildflowers weaved through unkempt fields of shamrock grasses, the pale blue weatherboard Australian harkaway house stood tall

  Nestled between rolling hills where wildflowers weaved through unkempt fields of shamrock grasses, the pale blue weatherboard Australian harkaway house stood tall. The hot summer's draft slipped through the ajar white pine framed windows, rippling sheer chiffon curtains and the sharp scent of sea salt embosoming the occupants in opulent fumes. Strawberry blond hair rested on decorative pillows, an array of orange and red oriental patterns contrasting against the navy blue wall behind them, creating a sort of kaleidoscopic effect.

Cooper Graham's face was a display of nonchalance and boredom as he lounged on his back atop his bulky bed. His bedroom walls were scattered with posters and photographs, warm faces leaping from the inked paper. He could hear the heavy pattering of feet from down the halls, no doubt his sisters chasing after each other. As the eldest sibling at home and the only boy, Cooper often found himself solitary. The soft knock sounding from his oakwood front door interrupted his empty thoughts, a sigh escaped from his rosewood pink lips as he carried himself from his bedroom to the front door, swinging it open.

As if the clouds had been broken purposely for the golden hues of the sun to shine a spotlight on the girl before him, Theodora Lewis' face was illuminated brightly. Her lips parted to reveal her pearly whites, her cheeks sun-kissed and the freckles splattered across her nose darkening in the Australian sun. Her arms were quick to find Cooper's neck, embracing him in a hug, one of which he reciprocated, enveloping her slight frame in his larger one. She felt smaller due to his sudden growth spurt, his chin now comfortably above her head. Warmth erupted from his chest, a soft smile tugging at his lips.

"Ted's!" He exclaimed once he finally let go of the blonde. "You came early!"

She mirrored his grin, "Well I had to surprise you, didn't I?" She responded her voice sweet like honey and her accent thick. Her saccharine laugh filled the air as she looked at the boy before her's surprise-ridden face. She'd told him she was coming a week later than she actually was.

Her apple-green eyes were large and full of life, her ballet-slipper pink nails tugged at the hem of her yellow sundress, embroidered with white flowers. She noticed the changes in Cooper's appearance, his height, his deeper voice, the way his arms filled out the once baggy sleeves of his shirt and his outgrown hair. "Yes, you did," Cooper beamed at the blonde, the warmth in his chest blossoming like new-aged flowers.