11

When I entered the house, I found my mom waiting for me on the couch, her expression anxious. "Mom, are you okay?" I asked, meeting her gaze. She didn't respond right away, just stared at me with an intensity that made me uncomfortable. Finally, she spoke. "What were you doing at Ares's house?"

I shifted uncomfortably under her gaze, unsure of how much to reveal. "Mom, we were just hanging out. Ares needed help with some homework, that's all."

Mom's expression hardened as she looked at me, her arms crossed. "Homework? At this hour? Moxie, I know you're a good student, but I find it hard to believe that you were just doing homework. And with Ares of all people?"

I swallowed hard, trying to keep my composure. "Yes, Mom, I know it sounds strange, but it's the truth. We needed to finish it tonight because of the deadline."

She studied me for a moment longer, then sighed, seeming to relent slightly. "Well, alright. But I don't want you spending too much time with Ares. You know how I feel about him."

"I understand, Mom," I said, relieved that she was buying my excuse. "I'll be more careful."

She nodded, still looking worried. "Good. Now go get some rest."

I took a deep breath, trying to push aside the tension that still lingered in the air. "Wait, where is dad?" I asked, hoping to shift the focus away from my encounter with Ares.

Mom hesitated for a moment, her expression softening. "He's out of town on a business trip. He won't be back until next week."

I nodded, feeling a pang of disappointment. "Oh, I see."

"Thanks, Mom," I said, grateful for her concern. "Goodnight."

She said "Goodnight, Moxie. I love you."

I nodded, heading towards my room once again. As I lay in bed, I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that gnawed at me. Despite my mother's reassurances, I knew that keeping secrets from her was taking its toll. But for now, all I could do was bury my worries and try to get some sleep.

My mind raced with thoughts of Ares and the party. I knew that I had to be careful around him, especially with my mom being so suspicious. But at the same time, I couldn't deny the pull that I felt towards him.

I tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable, but my mind wouldn't let me rest. I kept thinking about the way Ares had looked at me, the way he had touched me. I knew that I shouldn't be feeling this way, but I couldn't help it.

Eventually, I drifted off to sleep, my dreams filled with images of Ares and the party. But even in my dreams, I couldn't escape the nagging feeling of guilt that lingered in the back of my mind.

I knew that I was playing with fire by getting involved with Ares. He was dangerous, unpredictable, and my mom didn't approve of him. But at the same time, I couldn't resist the pull that I felt towards him. There was something about him that drew me in, something that made me feel alive in a way that I never had before.

In the quiet solitude of my room, curiosity finally won the battle against fear. I reached for my phone, its sleek surface cool to the touch, and clicked on the messaging app. My heart pounded in my chest as I scrolled to Lucifer's message, a message I had been too scared to open until now. The anticipation was a tangible thing, a knot in my stomach that tightened with each passing second.

As I opened the message, my eyes widened in shock and surprise. The words on the screen were not what I had expected. "Are you up for another date?" Lucifer asked, a question that left me reeling. My mind whirled with confusion and disappointment. He had a girlfriend, so why was he asking me this? The audacity of his request was staggering, and it made me question his integrity.