Chapter 3

North

I looked up from my phone as Silas came into the room in nothing but an oversized bath towel. "Uh, what happened to you?"

His cheeks reddened, "I was helping Gray with the livestock and we got caught in the downpour. She put our clothes in the wash and gave me a towel to get back to the room."

I thought my eyes were gonna fall out of my head, "Wait, you saw her naked!"

"No! I turned around and so did she. Good grief, North, what kind of creep do you think I am?" Silas scoffed.

"That's not what I meant. The way you said it, well, I just," I stammered feeling my own cheeks heat up. Silas let out a booming laugh as he headed toward his second shower of the day. I shut my mouth and went back to scrolling on my phone, muttering under my breath.

We woke to find it still raining the next day, but at a much slower pace. Gray joined us at the breakfast table looking a bit disheveled.

"You okay?" I asked her, handing her a cup of coffee.

She drew in a deep breath of the steam and sighed, "Ahh, the nectar of the gods. Thanks, North. I just didn't sleep well last night. Guess I'm just worried about this weather."

"Did you still want us to help at your friend's house today? Looks like the rain isn't going anywhere fast," I commented.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I'm sure you and Silas want to get back to civilization," she chuckled, "but I could really use the help honestly."

"Don't worry about us, we'll be fine, and we might as well earn our keep since we're stuck too," I grinned. The return smile she gave me was breathtaking and I found myself wondering how I could make her smile again. "Did you need help with the animals this morning?"

She swallowed down the last of her coffee and shook her head, "No, Clara's son Tom takes care of them in daylight. It was just too dark last night for him to chance coming over the ridge. We should probably head out after eating. I'll need to check the river to see if we can make a trench or if we're just grabbing the old woman and her critters," she laughed. "Oh, and watch out, she's got a nasty right hook."

I raised my eyebrows, "Just who is this lady, and how do you know she has a nasty right hook?"

Gray laughed loudly, "I've had to yank her out of that house more than once since her husband passed. That and she caught me smoking on a Sunday once when I was a kid. Lit my butt up with a thick bible. I thought I'd never sit again, and I damn sure never smoked again."

My eyes widened and I busted up laughing. I was wiping tears from my eyes as Silas came back in helping Clara carry platters of scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, bacon, and sausage. "Gray, did you break North? I can't remember the last time I saw him cry."

"Maybe. I'll just keep it my secret. Never know when I'll need to do it again," she giggled and snatched a piece of bacon, shoving it in her mouth to silence herself as we both laughed at her.

****

Silas and Gray drove in her truck as I followed behind in the large tractor. At least it had an enclosed cab so I was dry. This rain was crazy. All through the main road of the town we could see signs of damage. People were out piling sandbags and boarding up windows as best they could. Some at the lower end of town had even packed up supplies and moved to higher ground near what appeared to be a very old church. It was almost like time had skipped over sections of the town. There were no flashy malls or high end stores, just old buildings with quaint storefronts and cobblestone sidewalks.

After twenty or so minutes, we found ourselves in a muddy driveway facing a very run down old shack. It looked like it would fall at any moment. In the back there was a fenced chicken yard and raised coop, then a small shed off to the side with a sagging door. I put the tractor in park and climbed down, I could hear the sound of rushing water coming from behind the house.

Gray slammed the truck door shut and hollered, "I'm gonna check on the river before I start fighting with the widow."

"I'm coming with you," Silas said as they started toward the ridge.

I continued to scan the area until I heard her scream, then broke out in a run, feeling my heart in my throat. I skidded to a stop, almost slipping in the mud as I saw Silas, wings fully extended with Gray in his arms. She was dripping wet and dazed.

"Oh fuck," I groaned.