That One Time by Phyllis De Vera

"This is for my friends who believed in me and encouraged me to write."
- Phyllis de Vera

Three years ago

"It's a good work experience," James Mapalo said as he gave his niece an expectant look.

Agatha frowned. "But it's been a while since I tutored anyone."

"Aggie, you worry too much. You'll be able to remember your skills once you start working."

"That's reassuring, uncle."

"Besides, didn't you tutor younger children before? You'd be a great help to the family, especially to their 14-year-old daughter who's having a hard time in Biology. Also, think of it as a break."

Agatha snorted. "Yeah a break from teaching an entire classroom now reduced to one student."

James laughed. "Also, possibly an additional funding to your dissertation."

"Okay, uncle, I'll bite. When can I start?"

A week later, Agatha stood in front of a vast, cottage-style house surrounded by a large garden with a wraparound balcony. They were now at the sliding steel gates at the property's main entrance. James was with her, giving her a comforting pat on the shoulder.

Minutes later, they were standing in front of a pinewood door, which opened, revealing an attractive woman in her late forties dressed in an off-shoulder purple muumuu dress, her chocolate brown hanging loosely along her shoulders. Her gray eyes lit up upon seeing James.

"James! This is a surprise!" She greeted him in a soft French accent as she gave him a brief kiss on both of his cheeks.

"Solène," James said simply as he returned the gesture.

Agatha watched them quietly. While it was evident how close they were, it was not surprising. Her uncle had an extensive network of people around him, given that he was an architect. As her dad dryly said once, her uncle has friends in both high and low places. This woman and her family were probably one of them.

"What brings you here?" Solène asked.

James gestured towards his niece, who was as still as a tree. "You mentioned you're looking for a tutor for Claire. This is my niece, Agatha Ferencillo. Aggie, this is Solène Dupont-Alcantara."

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am," Agatha said politely.

"De mèmè, cherie." Solène gave her a bright smile. At the young woman's confused look, she hastily apologized. "Likewise, dear. Come on in, please."

Several minutes later, Agatha and James were seated in a grand-looking living room and served drinks and snacks. After exchanging pleasantries, Solène began to interview Agatha in earnest. She answered the older woman as honestly as possible. Agatha was nervous, but at the same time, she was okay if she didn't get the job. She could always work as a private tutor for Koreans. She had done it before.

To her surprise, Solène told her she had passed the interview and excitedly introduced her to her two children: Claire Antoinette, a 14-year-old girl who was just as bubbly as her mother, and her older brother Arsène Clive who was a severe and quiet 18-year-old boy just starting his first year in college. Both children were good-looking, which was evident given their mother was gorgeous.

Later on, she met Alfonso Alcantara, who was in his early fifties. He reminded Agatha of a silver fox man. This family looked so attractive that she felt so insecure of her own looks.

Asked to start working tomorrow, Agatha could not help but feel happy when she and her uncle left the residence. She got a job, and the pay was more than she expected. She could have emergency funding with the salary she would earn, just in case she got denied funding by DOST.