26 - Final

Things I learned during Mingyu’s best-man speech: 

1) In eighth-grade he and Jungkook liked the same girl. 

2) They made a deal. If Jungkook backed off and stopped trying to win her heart with mix CDs and gummy worms, then if they ever liked the same girl again, Mingyu would return the favor. 

3) Her name was Jung Chaeyeon. 

4) The same Jung Chaeyeon Jungkook called out to Mingyu when I was slung over his shoulder. That’s when he knew Jungkook liked me. 

5) He knew Jungkook had fallen in love with me when he casually dragged them to nearly every bar in town on his birthday night, seeming to scan the crowd for someone. And then stormed out of the bar when that someone called. That someone being me. 

Mrs. Jeon Lisa. 

I move my fork around my plate with a small grin. Do I think it’s a coincidence that a helping of yams has somehow made it onto my dinner plate? Nope. I take an appeasing bite, knowing somewhere Mrs. Go and Mrs. Sung are watching. 

I turn my eyes to Jungkook’s people, who are now my people, eating and laughing under string lights brushing the white flowers with warm shades of pearl and gold. 

Magical flowers set against Irish green sod and rustic wood so enchanting it feels like I stepped into a dream. 

A dream I never want to wake from. 

If anyone thought it was weird that Jungkook hauled me down the aisle over his shoulder while I yelled about ramyeon, nobody said. If they thought it was strange that the tattooed highlander officiating our wedding was bawling his eyes out and blubbering incoherently while doing it, nobody said a word about that either. 

What they did say, was that it was a beautiful moment to be a part of. That they’ve never seen Jungkook look so happy. Some said this with tears in their eyes (Angel Miyeon). All said this with real smiles on their faces. 

I reach for the champagne glass, my gleaming gold wedding band catching in the light. Two delicate bands braided into one. Jungkook and me. 

Eunwoo did that. 

My gaze slides to Jungkook’s hand as he grabs his drink. My pulse jumps while my ovaries break out in a cheer for the millionth time tonight. You’d think they’d be tired by now. Nope. 

If there’s anything sexier than Jungkook wearing his wedding ring, I’ve never seen it. Have I been staring at it like a weirdo since I slipped it on his finger? You betcha. 

Feeling the hot weight of Jungkook’s eyes on me, I flick my gaze to meet his. And instantly smile. I’m pretty sure I’ll never get tired of this. Of us. 

“You good?” he asks me for the hundredth time. He does this in his gravelly voice that I feel across my skin. 

“Yeah. You?” I nod trying to keep my smile out of the cheesy zone. 

He grins and leans in, his voice drops. “As fucking gorgeous as you look in that dress, babe, I can’t wait to get you out of it.” 

My cheeks flush, my heart kicking up a notch. “What makes you think you’re getting lucky tonight,” I tease. 

“Oh, I’m getting lucky.” 

“Mmm… we’ll see.” 

Someone clearing their throat pulls us from our heated moment. We turn to see Mr. Park standing at our table, holding what looks like a framed poster or painting. 

“Sorry to interrupt.” The small smile on his face says, not really. “I had orders to deliver this to you after the ceremony, and now seems like as good a time as any.” He hands me the painting, and I clumsily take it. Then he turns to Jungkook. “You left this on the table when we first met. You should keep it.” He hands Jungkook the index card from the funeral. “There’s one more thing.” His smile widens, and then we’re watching him walk off.