Chapter 24: Simplicity

A loud noise filled the room, and there, Meen succumbed to unconsciousness, his form crumpled on the ground under the firm grasp of a police officer. Aoom, from her her viewpoint, caught a fleeting glimpse of Meena through the doorway, her heart racing with a mix of relief and uncertainty, before succumbing to her own injuries, slipping into the realm of unconsciousness alongside Meen.

When she slowly blinked open her eyes, a bright light resembling a tunnel, greeted her. A soothing voice calmed her nerves. It was Meena. Meena was gently touching her cheek and cleaning her wounds. Aoom looked around and realized she was in Meena's apartment, lying on the couch.

Struggling against the pain that threatened to overwhelm her, Aoom attempted to rise, only to be met with a wave of agony that rendered her immobile. Sensing her distress, Meena's gaze softened, her expression one of quiet concern as she gently cradled Aoom's face in her hands. "Heyy," Meena whispered softly, her voice a soothing balm.

In a voice strained by pain, Aoom sought answers, her words barely above a whisper. "Where is he?" she asked, her voice trembling with uncertainty.

With a gentle touch, Meena reassured her, "The police took him. It's okay," her words a lifeline in the darkness that threatened to engulf them both.

But Aoom's thoughts drifted to Meena, "And you, are you okay?" she said, her voice filled of genuine concern.

With a faint smile, Meena nodded, her resolve unwavering. "I will be. Promise," she replied.

Returning the smile despite the pain that pulsed through her body, Aoom mustered the strength to sit up, her movements slow and deliberate. Gently placing her hand on Meena's stomach, "And her?" Meena's well-being meant everything to her.

Meena's face lit up with a smile, touched by Aoom's care. "Her? Oh, she's okay too," she said, giggling.

Aoom laughed along with her. "Well, it's definitely going to be a girl. Just imagine a little sassy version of you," she teased, resting her head on Meena's lap as sitting up was painful.

Meena's gaze softened as she looked into Aoom's eyes, her heart swelling with love and concern. With a tender caress, she brushed away a stray lock of hair from Aoom's forehead, her fingers lingering in a silent caress.

"Aoom, we need to make sure you're cleaned up properly before your wounds worsen," Meena urged, her voice filled with concern.

Aoom winced as she tried to shift her position, the pain evident in her movements. "Meena, I can barely sit up straight," she confessed, her voice strained with discomfort.

Understanding the gravity of the situation, Meena nodded empathetically. "I know, baby. Let me help you. If you can't make it to the bathroom, I'll call Charlotte or mom to lend a hand, okay?" she offered, her concern palpable.

With a nod of agreement, Aoom summoned all her strength to stand, leaning heavily on Meena for support. Each step was a battle against the pain, making their way to the bathroom, Aoom's breaths came in shallow gasps, her body trembling with exertion. Meena's heart ached at the sight, "Do you want to go to the hospital?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Shaking her head, Aoom forced a weak smile. "No, it's alright. I just need to sit down. Let's go to the tub," she replied, her determination unwavering despite the agony she endured.

When they got to the bathroom, Meena carefully guided Aoom to the closed toilet lid, making sure she was comfortable. She gently collected Aoom's hair and tied it away from her face, and started washing Aoom's wounds tenderly, using a soft cloth and mild soap. The wounds and scratches on Aoom's top cheekbones and nose were minor, but they required attention and care to avoid infection and aid healing.