1) Ordinary life?

Calista

The aroma of freshly brewed, rich coffee offers warmth as comfort within the surroundings of the cafe, overwhelming my senses completely. I'm relentlessly drumming my fingernails against the wooden table, matching the flow of my racing thoughts in an agitating attempt to hold onto reality.

My mind keeps wandering off further, forgetting every other sound happening in the background, like being drawn into the great depths of a sea, drowning deeper and deeper in my own thoughts.

Despite being a senior, it's not exactly as difficult as the previous school years, especially junior year. I just couldn't dismiss my worries about the possibilities of answers I might receive from the universities I have recently applied to.

At least college applications are done and out of the way, but there is no point in having high expectations of getting into my dream college. I would even be flabbergasted if I ended up somehow getting an acceptance.

Not to mention, I should start writing the next chapter of my novel, which happens to be a dark romance between a secretly serial killer professor and a student.

Well, that's not the only thing bothering me; my girlfriend has been ghosting me since yesterday, prior to a heated argument sprouting from her assumption that I had supposedly been cheating behind her back.

No matter how many times I assured her I would never betray her like that, she didn't even acknowledge an ounce of anything I had said.

Last night, I was left to doubt myself in bed, awake in an empty home with no other presence but mine. My parents were, after all, on another business trip. The usual meant no one would have to endure my sobbing within these walls.

Crying endlessly, I felt the salty tears sting the edges of my closed eyes, drenching my blotchy cheeks as I curled up in bed, seeking comfort in the solitude. I repeatedly replayed every word of hers in my head until bitterness consumed all of my senses.

Everyone at Storm Shores High School knew my girlfriend like a celebrity: Selene Espina who is an unstoppable and well-known player on the school girls' volleyball varsity team and considered among the best, according to the coach in charge.

She is the first and only person I have truly loved ever since Giselle introduced her last year.

My fingers continuously tap on the solid surface without realizing I have been zoning out the entire time until I am interrupted by my phone calling out for my attention as it buzzes with a notification. I lift my phone off the table, glancing down at the screen.

It's a recent text message from my best friend, Giselle, notifying me she is on her way to the cafe. I really have no idea why she always manages to be late, even though this is her whole idea of us hanging out on the weekend. She's probably performing some side quests along the way here.

I decide to press on the message, replying back to her text: Gurl, your lying ass said that 10 minutes ago? Where are you even?

Giselle
Chill out, Cali! LMAO you ain't gotta attack me, I'll be there asap! Love you, ranch roach <3

I give an amused scoff in response to her reply, bursting out in laughter, not bothering to send a text back. Rolling my eyes, I set my phone aside.

As I patiently wait for Giselle, the bell from the front door chimes. I direct my gaze to the source of the sound, swiftly turning around to spot her approaching me with a beaming smile. She seats herself across me.

"I really thought you left before I came," she quips, taking a sip out of the cappuccino I had ordered for her.

I chuckle, raising my brow at her. "Maybe I should've ditched you."