Ch - 1

Shubman is sitting on the bench, still panting after the rigorous practice session. It is not going to be an easy one. He wipes the sweat with a towel. Winning matches like this would have been tough enough with their own team as it is, with teammates that they know how to work with and are used to. But the university had to make this stupid ass decision, and now they have to collaborate with the team from the engineering department.

Shubman quietly huffs, trying to not let the annoyance get to him. To be honest, uni's idea might not be that bad and could actually work in their favor. Everything depends on the people and how willing they are to listen and understand and their ability to be a team player. But it is the first day of practice and they didn't even bother to show up. So yeah, he is annoyed and rightfully so.

"Relax bro."

Shubman looks up at his teammate who has put a hand on his shoulder. Shubman shrugs and looks away. Aksh takes a seat beside him.

"Yaar," Shubman runs his palm along his face, "How is this going to work?"

"It's the first day. We don't know what their situation is. Let's give them the benefit of doubt."

"But..." Shubman sighs, "You have seen how cocky some of those engineering dudes can be. I just..." he stammers, he is probably being judgmental but he really doesn't wanna lose this time. "How can we practice without the whole team? We have like a month left, midterms in between, and we don't even know half of our team."

"For starters, we know their names. I sent you the list yesterday. And we have five weeks to be precise. It will work out. I have heard that they are good," Aksh pats Shubman's back before getting up. "It'll be fine."

Being good at the game doesn't necessarily make you a good teammate! We have to get along to win!

Shubman decides to not speak his mind, he looks up to Aksh. He has a smile on his face. Shubhman doesn't understand how he manages to be so calm under any situation. It is kind of impressive. He returns Aksh's soft smile. He doesn't want to bother him anymore. Aksh has better things to do.

"See you at the mess for dinner."

"Yeah."

Shubman stays. He watches as the sky gets dark, people leave, hears the sounds around him fade until it is quiet and only a couple of silhouettes can be seen at the edges. Aksh would have been a much better captain. Once again the thought crossed his brain but he shakes it off and starts packing up his stuff. He hangs the kit over one of his shoulders and starts walking towards his dorm when he hears footsteps. They sound hurried and inching closer towards him. Shubman doesn't halt but turns to look in the direction. He can see a man in the faint light. It is hard to tell his expression.

"Hey! It's Ishan," the guy stops, heaving.

Shubman looks away without responding. Ishan. So... the captain of the other team. He is too tired for a banter or a fight. The guy has the guts to show his face now! It's been hours since the practice is over. There's no point in listening to him. How could someone be so irresponsible? If he wanted to, he could have informed. He could have called or texted at least.

"Are you..." the man gulps before resuming, "from the cricket team? I mean— the management ones?"

Shubman meets his eyes, big and dark, he holds his confused gaze for a couple of moments before turning and walking away.

***

"You might be mistaken."

"I know it was dark, but I am not a fucking idiot," Ishan scoffs, thinking about the way he was ignored. How can someone be so inconsiderate? He would have been okay if there was no one on the field to talk to. He knew he was late and owed an explanation, but he wasn't even given the chance to do so.