Chapter 1 - New Family

"Akari, say hello to your new family!" My mother pulled me forward as I awkwardly stood in front of the three opposite me. I pursed my lips before exhaling to gather my nerves.

"Hey uh... I'm... Akari Otonashi..." I held my hand up as a greeting.

Damn, that was awkward of me! The silence seemed to pause in the air. The two teenagers stared at me in uncertainty. I could see my new step dad scratch his cheek in embarrassment... Gosh! Say something please! My mother cleared her throat to get rid of the awkwardness.

"Well Akari, this is Taro and Hanako. They're going to be your siblings from now on! Why don't you two go and show Akari her new room?" She suggested.
With such awkwardness, I didn't hesitate to take the lead in going upstairs as the sibling pair followed behind me. I looked down the small hallway, speculating which room was mine.

"Your room is right next to mine." Taro finally spoke up. "This one right here." He walked towards the end of the hall at a door, which I presumed was his room, and pointed next door. I nodded and came over to open it myself. It was quite empty.

A plain bed, empty bookshelf, and there was a closet in front of the bed. Also a desk with nothing on it between the wall and bookshelf. I nodded in approval, it wasn't that bad, and I wasn't really a decorative person myself.

"So... are you a foreigner kind of person?" Hanako cautiously asked with curious eyes. I glanced at her and thought about it for a while.

"Well, I am American. But I'm actually half Japanese." I answered with a nod, looking into Hanako's sparkling eyes. "But yeah, I guess I am a foreigner since I was raised in America I guess." I shrugged in conclusion.

Hanako nods her head enthusiastically with an excited expression. I walked over to my bed and sat down with a relieved sigh. Hanako seemed to have sat next to me as Taro also sat next to Hanako from her eager invitation. I looked between them confusingly. Hanako giggled with a grin. She seemed quite happy after scooting closer to Taro...

"Papa said that we should get to know you more once we show you your room." She swung her legs without looking at me, leaning on Taro. With a 'oh', I looked at Taro.

"Then... I guess I'll ask what school you guys go to?"

Taro bitterly smiles, his eyes holding a hidden gloom in his black eyes. His depressed gaze honestly surprised me. I turned my head to Hanako. She lowered her gaze, the same sad(?) look on her face with a hint of a sneer at the corner of her mouth.

"...Nii-chan goes to Akademi High." She slowly said. Taro sighs, flopping on my bed.

"That school... It's strange." Taro started. I couldn't quite catch his expression since his bangs were covering his eyes. Hanako also focuses all her attention on Taro with a serious face.

"In just 2 weeks... 2 weeks... 2 girls have already disappeared abruptly." He continued. "The police are still secretly investigating about the matter by only observing for now, since they suspect it to be murder... Those girls were rather close to me..." Hanako frowned at his words, the atmosphere seemed to have become tense and gloomy.

I awkwardly sat there in silence. I'm not really a comforter, and even if I tried, it would become worse... With a sigh escaping my lips, the heavy atmosphere seemed to clear as if it hadn't existed because of my unexpected reaction.

"I'll keep that in mind. For now, I'll just say this." The sibling pair looked at me. "I'm also attending Akademi like you." I politely smiled.