Chapter 4

Tayler picked me up in her brand-new BMW at 8:30 sharp. She, Jamie, Kara and a few of our other friends all finished undergrad the same year and now Tayler has a big job at an ad agency in town, so she's been saving up for a new car and, of course, wants to show it off. I've been driving all weekend, so I didn't mind her offering one bit.

We're not the type of friends to scream and yell the second we see each other so I hop in, we hug, and chit chat about what's new.

"I'm so happy you're home Parks! One more year and hopefully you'll be back here for good," Tayler has this idea that once I graduate, we're going to get an apartment or house together, but I'm not so set on moving back home. I wouldn't mind living with her someplace else but coming home to the same city just sounds permanent.

"I can't wait to be done with school, you have no idea," I sound a bit exhausted for an upcoming night of drinking and gossip with the girls.

"How are things with Sean? Last time we really talked about him you were on the fence with things."

"Eh I guess I'm in the same boat, maybe even over it," I roll my eyes and take a deep breath out. "I wouldn't mind distance with someone, but I just don't think I can do it with him and I don't know, I think I'm just growing up without him if that makes sense."

We're at a stop sign when she faces me and gives me the look. The look that I know will come with a long speech of how we should just call it quits and life is short. She didn't disappoint.

"I think you have certainly grown up and learned a lot more about yourself and that person just doesn't fit with Sean. So, if you're having any doubts now, they'll never go away. I can contest to that!"

"You're right," I'm glaring out the window like a sad puppy and snap out of it. "Tonight, in fact this whole summer, let's just have fun and do as we please."

We both smile. I turn up the volume and we both start to belt lyrics to an old Usher song.

We pull into a crowded parking lot and I see "Stoney's" in huge, green, neon letters over the entrance. I heard this place was popular but for a Tuesday night this isn't what I expected. Tons of people were going in and out and there was a small line to check ID's. I'm feeling a bit underdressed in my jeans and t-shirt but as soon as we make it in, I feel more comfortable.

The bar at night/restaurant during the day is half patio and half indoors. As we enter the patio on the right, there are strings of lights hanging from the wooden panels on top. There are different games like a jumbo sized Jenga, jumbo Connect Four and corn hole. All of which are in the turf area of the patio, all occupied by teams of guys and girls with a drink in hand. As I look longer I notice a few guy's from my high school are occupying one of the corn hole games; each toss they make they take a drink from their beer. I turn my attention elsewhere.

Tayler and I take the long way through the patio to get inside because I'm so curious what the hype is about this place. Once we get inside, we see Kara and Jamie at a high table by the main bar. It's even more crowded inside. Numerous TV's are along the walls showing various sports games and highlights. Even though it is a bit too crowded, I like this place.

"Parker!" They shout at the same time.

"What's up guys? Let's get some drinks!" I left my weird mood in the car and immediately felt a sweet sensation realizing I'm home with my best friends all summer. We flag down a server and realize it's Taco Tuesday. Margaritas are half off; we order a round.

"Oh my god, do you know who's here?" Jamie says alert and abruptly, we all stare at her in anticipation.

"Caleb. Saw him and his same ol' high school friends over near the patio." Her tone sounds disgusted and rightly so.