Chapter 2

As the sun rises on contest day, I can feel beads of sweat forming on my forehead, my nerves getting the best of me. My heart is pounding so hard that I'm sure the whole world can hear it. The thought of encountering Arcana assassins before the contest even begins has haunted me for days, making me paranoid and restless. Every sound seems amplified, and every shadow feels like it's hiding something sinister.

With reluctance and determination, I prepare myself for the journey towards the kingdom. My backpack, heavy with the weight of all the weapons I have gathered over the past few days, rests against the wall as I take a moment to gather my thoughts. As I step towards the door, I glance back at the desolate building that has been my hiding spot for my entire life and feel a pang of sadness in my chest. Even though it was meant to be a temporary refuge, it provided me with a sense of security that I'd have to leave behind.

Desperate to escape the pain, I avert my eyes and turn toward the direction of the inner walls of the kingdom. Every step I take feels heavy, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. Paranoia grips me as I approach the entrance, my heart racing with every passing moment.

The entrance to the kingdom is bustling with activity, and it seems unusually crowded. Warriors from various kingdoms have assembled here and are moving towards the third plateau of the kingdom. The air is filled with a sense of anticipation and excitement.

If I remember correctly, the meeting place for participants is the enormous courtyard in front of the king's castle. This will be the first time I will enter this kingdom's 2nd and 3rd plateaus.

As I step into the first entrance, I am immediately immersed in a world of towering trees dotted alongside the road, with lush canopies stretching far and wide. The shadows cast by the boughs provide a welcome respite from the intense sun. As I make my way down the white-marbled road, I notice dark figures lurking in the shadows of the nearby buildings.

Arcana assassins.

No doubt, being a participant was the best plan of action I could have taken. I keep my head down and try to stay hidden within the crowd as we make our way towards the castle.

At the castle entrance, our eyes are drawn to the awe-inspiring sight of towering pillars of fire flanking the path on either side. The walls of the castle are gleaming white, adorned with intricate golden accents that catch the sunlight and reflect it in a dazzling display. At the center of it all is the colossal entrance, with a magnificent arched top that seems to stretch up towards the sky. Above the door, we can glimpse the second floor, where the king is expected to make his grand appearance and welcome his guests with regal grace once everyone has arrived.

I take a moment to look around me. Everyone seems so distracted with excitement for the King's arrival that they won't pay any attention to me. This is a perfect opportunity for me to sneak around and steal some equipment from the warriors.

Steathfully, I grab small equipment of the warriors with my whip-like tail.

Smoke daggers, paralysis traps, and barrier incantations. All one uses times.

Just as I was about to snag another item, a sturdy man wrapped his arm around my neck. I jolted in shock, turning my face towards the man.

As the man looks at me, a broad smile spreads across his face, revealing his gleaming pearly white teeth. His eyes, the color of amethysts, meet mine, and I can't help but feel their intensity. The man's skin is tanned, and his hair is a rich shade of brunette with delicate white highlights at the tips, adding a touch of sophistication to his appearance.

The armor adorning his body boasts a chest plate with a rich, dark gray hue, complemented by vibrant green accents and sparkling gems. His chiseled abs are fully exposed between the armor's upper and lower halves. One shoulder is protected by a sturdy, dark shoulder plate, while the other is left unguarded and exposed.