CHAPTER ONE: GOING BLIND

The pain in my face made me, for a moment, truly believe that I was dying. I could feel the blood trickling down my face, making me feel even more uncomfortable. Turning my head in either direction, I couldn't see a thing.

" Alex, are you all right?" Bucky asked.

"Bucky, I can't see; I'm pretty sure I've sustained damage to my eyes," I told Bucky, taking a few deep breaths.

"Do you trust me?" Bucky asked.

"With my life," I replied.

"Then let me carry you," Bucky said as he gently picked me up.

I could feel the gentle movement of Bucky's body as he moved. Despite not being able to see, I knew that I was safe. I could hear other voices, chaos going on around me, and the sound of Steve's boots crunching across the pavement. The sound of the weapons on my dad's suit, the sound of Clint's arrows whizzing through the air. The sound of the Hulk's heavy footsteps shaking the earth. Natasha's tired grunt as she grows battle weary. Everything around me was quickly becoming far too loud.

" Buck," I whimpered.

" Yeah, doll," Bucky replied.

"It's too loud, Bucky," I cried, feeling overwhelmed.

"Guys, Alex is hurt," Bucky's voice called above the noise.

"Get her back to the jet," I heard my dad snap the order to Bucky.

"Bucky, I'm feeling very overwhelmed right now," I said.

"I know, doll; I'll make sure everything is okay," Bucky whispered.

I could hear the other members of the team filing onto the jet. I could hear the heavy, armored footsteps of my father moving closer to me. I felt a damp rag against my face, cleaning up the now-dried blood from my face.

" Can you see me, Alex?" Dad asked.

"No, I can't see anything, " I said, pulling my face downwards into a frown.

"Did you get hit in the eyes, Alex?" Dad questioned.

"I honestly don't remember," I whispered sadly.

Before too long, the pain was becoming too much. I wanted to scream and cry, but I knew it would only hurt my dad and Bucky more.

"Are you in pain?" Dad asked, worry clouding his thoughts, made evident by his words.

"I'm fine," I whispered, trying not to let how much pain I was in the show through.

"You're not a fine doll. I know you're in pain and scared. Let me hold you," Bucky's soft voice was in my ear, and it was the last voice I heard before going unconscious.

When I opened my eyes, I still couldn't see a thing. I could hear the beeping of the heart monitor I was connected to. I heard the shuffle of movement in the room and recognized the smell of Dr. Banner's cologne. I knew he must have convinced my dad to go home and rest.

" Uncle Bruce?" I said, getting his attention.

"Alex, you're awake. Can you see?"

"No, I still can't see anything. This means I'm done for; I can't be part of the team anymore. Look at me; I can't see, let alone fight like this," I said, gesturing to the state I was in.

"Alex, I don't think this means the end; if I know you, you'll find a way," I could hear the smirk in Bruce's voice.

"Maybe you're right. How's my dad doing?" I asked Bruce finally, unable to keep myself from asking the million-dollar question.