6 - Plants

"Put your head on my shoulder,"

"Hold me in your arms, baby,"

"Squeeze me oh so tight,"

"Show me that you love me too,"

"Put your lips next to mine, dear,"

"Ooooh!" I sing along, steaming milk, "Won't you kiss me once, baby."

I sway to the music, spinning around to pour the milk into the cup and stop at the sight of Bucky.

"Just a kiss goodnight, maybe," He sings in a mocking tone, grinning ear to ear.

"Oh, I'll kiss you alright," I tell him holding up my fist, shaking it slightly.

"You and I will fall in love," Paul Anka sings from my speakers. I scoff at the timing of the lyrics.

Bucky rolls his eyes at me, "Can you listen to anything else, doll? You're driving me mad,"

I wink, "I tend to have that effect on men, McDreamy,"

He shakes his head, "No, you're repulsive,"

"Funny, you can't seem to leave me alone,"

He scoffs, "Sorry, just trying to be here for you since you had to watch your mother get brutally murdered!"

I put my hands on my face, opening my mouth in mock surprise, gasping. I drop my hands and expression and pass him my latte. He breathed near it. I don't want it now.

I pull shots while I steam milk, singing along to my song, turning up the volume when Bucky complains about it. I remove the steaming jug, cleaning off the wand. I tap and swirl the steamed milk on the counter to get rid of the extra bubbles. I pour the espresso shots and steamed milk into the cup at the same time. I drink my coffee with my back turned to Bucky.

"And then this fool will-" The music cuts off. I turn to see Steve. Messy hair and shirtless. Thankfully, wearing pants this time.

"Steve!" I complain.

"Too loud!" He argues.

"Then take your pet idiot and lock him in his cage for the night!" I yell, pointing at Bucky.

"Hey! I've never slept in a cage!" Bucky complains, proving the idiot part.

"Shut up before I rip off the other arm!" I yell, grabbing the toaster. Steve grabs it from me as I try to throw it.

"Stop it, Madelaine," Steve tells me in a stern tone.

I shrug, "Whatever. Fine. Good night, Captain Underpants,"

"That was one time!" Steve yells after me as I head to the room I'm staying in.

~

I slam the door of the room I'm staying in shut. Petty? Yes. Do I care? Nu-uh. I check the digital clock, and it read 2:47 A.M. The night's only just begun.

I decide to begin my wild night of washing plant leaves. Much easier now that I've only got the two. My caladium looks depressed. I don't blame it. I would be too if Bucky touched me.

I hear a knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Steve, can I come in?"

"As long as you're wearing pants," I tease. I laugh to myself, I've never said that to a guy before.

Steve opens the door, now fully dressed. He leans against my doorframe, eyebrows furrowed slightly, "Hey," His tone is soft.