Chapter 5

4/7/2024

I'm not sure how long it's been since I left

But I do know where I've been. Sebastain and I made it across the Alaskan border and into Canada, from there I drove down to Silver City. Then we made our way to the British Columbia border, which took only half the day, and it seemed sensible to go through that province and down into the US. Though that plan did end up going sideways when the truck broke down. Damn thing!

I ended up repairing it pretty quickly, thankfully the town I was in had a small hotel where I could stop and do an oil change. Apparently Herc never thought to do one on the vehicle, which took a few years off of its life. But what else could a person do, more repairs would cost more and I had a limited amount of money.

We arrived in Jade City near 2 in the morning that day. Sebastian was already fast asleep. He'd been doing great, handling everything...Turns out he is a travel cat, which makes life easier on me. He'll usually sit on the dash whilst I'm driving then snuggle up when I sleep in the truck.

After the first stop I realised I would spend far too much on hotels, and thought it would be best to sleep in the truck. Spend the cash I had on things that really mattered. Fuel and food were most important, food for Sebby of course. We, well I had a decision to make when we came into Jade City. Fall onto the islands or drive through the mountain passes; hoping that the weather is good enough for them to be open. Weather constantly changes up in the Rockies, I was unsure if it would be good enough to drive through...

Turns out the plan to drive through the passes was much easier. Beautiful, and quicker. Luck had seemed to be on my side, none of the passes were closed. Even through the rainy weather I was still able to enjoy the view. Though Sebastian wasn't too happy that I had the window open to let the fresh air in. He'd snuck into the back of the truck, hiding for hours.

We soared through the mountains, following the curve of the great highway which'd been paved through, over and sometimes around them. It wouldn't ever get old, I knew. The rise and fall of the highway did bother me a bit however, though I pushed through. Even when I'd stopped to get a couple hours of sleep the soft winds that carried through the great mountains calmed me. At times the weather would change within minutes, clear skies and calm winds to pouring rain and raging gusts of wind. Sebastian often curled up on my chest those nights while I read a few of my sister's old books, or sometimes looked at one of her pictures. Those always made me miss her, Herc and Chuck. Even Sasha, while I was never really a fan of dogs, hence Sebs, I grew to like Sasha. She was well trained, Willow made sure of that.

Sometimes I wouldn't sleep through the night, and on those clear nights I would look up at the sky. The stars were the one thing that I felt close to. I remember when Mum was alive, she would show me the stars.

"There's people like us out there somewhere. Looking out at their sky full of stars, wondering if someone is out there too."

Mum always called me Little Bear. It was what my name meant too. Koda has different meanings, Little Bear, Ally, and Friend. I was Friend to Tendo, and a few others. I was Ally to the workers within the Shatterdome. But no one ever called me Little Bear...Sometimes it would slip from Herc, Chuck or Willow but I always turned it away.