Chapter One

It had been eleven months since Brooke's life with the vampires had been normal. But now, everything was going terribly wrong. Kyle was missing, and Jacob was dead. Masey and Josh were in chains. Lillian, Kit, Charlie, and Sam were guarding the prison loosely, feeling they had finally won. Brooke herself was locked up like a princess in a tower, except she was no ordinary prisoner. She was turning into a vampire.

Brooke's POV

I've been here for months. I haven't seen a single living person the whole time. The only visitors I get are my captors, who aren't exactly living. They're all vampires.

And I was turning into one of them.

I know not all vampires are bad. My best friend is a vampire. His name is Josh. For the longest time, I thought he was all I had. I don't know where he is now, or if he knows what Kit did to me. I don't think he does. If he did, he'd be here, wouldn't he?

I'm beginning to doubt that he's going to come break me out of this hellhole. I don't like it, but I can't help it. I'm on my own. I've come to find being on my own isn't so bad. At least, it's much better than being with Kit, the reason I'm turning anyways. I know why he's turning me too. Kit is an addict, to my blood. I'm not sure why, but he just really, really wants to drink my blood. And while I'm still human, every time he feeds from me he runs the risk of killing me. And sometimes, I want to die. But if I die, kit can't drink my blood anymore. So to make feeding from me less risky, he's going to make me one of them.

A vampire.

He would feed off a normal human, and then come to me. If he gave me some of the blood that was now his, after I took it in it would become mine. If he then drank from me, it would taste like my blood when I was human; the blood he had become addicted to. But I don't know much else beyond that.

Josh tried to explain it to me once, but I wasn't really listening. I should've paid attention. I should've learned more about the world I was now living in. But I hadn't, and now I'm naïve and unprepared for whatever Kit throws my way.