Chapter 2

The next day, I woke up to a knock on the window.
Brett.
"Hold on!" I grumbled as I pulled the covers off. My hair was messy and I wasn't exactly dressed nicely.
Clad in sweatpants and a long t-shirt, I walked over to see Brett grinning.
"Opening the window might be nice," Brett remarked, muffled by the barrier.
I scoffed and lifted the glass.
"What do you want? I can't be bombarded with sunshine all the time," I joked, giving a tired half-smile.
Brett giggled.
"I want you to come with me to this party tonight. Someone from my school invited me and I really want someone to tag along."
"Eh-" I looked away, turning nervous.
"What?" She asked.
"I don't... I don't do parties. Not my thing."
"Oh, it's okay," Her emerald eyes seemed to lose a bit of their ever-present sparkle.
"Wait, I'll go."
"Wait, what? But you just said-"
"I need some way to gain friends around here," I shrugged.
I was attacked by a tremendous thank you's and a jumping hug that sent us both flying towards my carpet.
We burst into giggles as we realized what happened.
"So, what time is it at?"
"I'll knock on your window."
"Alright," I replied, "what about clothes? Is it fancy? If it's fancy, I'm not sure if I have any-"
She stopped me.
"No, no worries! It's not like we're meeting the Queen. Just a nice casual dress or something."
"Alright. Just remember, if this goes wrong, I'm blaming you."
She laughed.
"Easy, okay? I just met you yesterday."
--
I found a nice pale navy blue dress and put some feather earrings; Looking in the mirror, I actually thought it went nicely with me.
Humming to myself, waiting patiently, I walked around the room. Thoughts clouded my head as I imagined the party, people, games, but on the bright side- free food! I listed the pros and cons, but before I could make a decision:
Knock knock knock.
"Hey! Open the curtains and the window!" Brett said, the usual muffled tone.
I pushed the curtains away to see my new friend donned with clothing I couldn't imagine her wearing, a dress that made her look even more regal than her regular appearance gave.
"You look pretty!" I automatically complimented.
She hastily repeated it back, strangely looking amazed, while she, herself, shone brighter than the sun.
"Okay, the party's not for an hour... Do you want to go uptown or something?"
"I... Uh... Yeah."
I defensively moved my hand up to my neck and smiled.
"Sorry, I'm just kind of not used to this town yet."
"Well, I'll show you around!"
"Okay."
So off we went.
As we started out, rain started to pour on our heads.
I scoffed.
"Shoot."
"Wait, wait! You can take my hoodie."
She pulled a large jacket out of her bag and threw it onto my face.
"Ha ha," I replied.
"Well, put it on!"
"What about you?"
She looked down at her dress, soaked from the buckets of rain.
"I'll be fine," She replied with a beam.
We went through the downpour as Brett danced in the puddles and laughed.
"So, what's Nevada like?"
"Usually drier than this. Like, a lot."
We went on, talking about the weather, the sun, the lack of things to do in the tiny town.
The thing was, for a while, I forgot the rain was there.
"You up for ice cream? There's a really good sweet shop a couple blocks from here."
"In this?" I joked, holding up one of my arms, the gray fabric on the hoodie soaked with water.
Brett giggled.
"Just humor me, alright? You're the best friend I have!"
"You met me yesterday!"
"Yeah, but you're different. You're the first one that doesn't judge."
"Why would I? You're pretty awesome yourself."
"Huh," Brett breathed. "Wait, okay, it should be just around here!"
Ten minutes later, we were sitting on a bench, licking the last cold bits of our ice cream.
"So," I remarked, "Uh... What's this party for?"
"I have no clue. I was just asked to come!"
"Oh... Uh... Cool."
"It's gonna be way more fun with you."
"Thanks."
She crunched off the last bit of cone of her cookie dough ice cream and checked her phone.
"Oh, wait-"
"What?"
"It starts in 5 minutes, we gotta go!"
"Oh, right!"
We dashed down the block, my tiny legs carrying me as fast as I could go, but Brett still was ages ahead of me.
"Come on!"
"I'm trying! Go ahead!"
She laughed.
"I'm not leaving you! Keep up!"
The path we ran was echoed by giddy chuckles and quick exchanges, and after what seemed like miles of running, we made it.
"Okay, I'm ready. Let's get this overwith."
"Alright. Let's go."
(Thanks for reading! Feedback is always really nice C; Sorry for not reaching my 1000 words per chapter goal, I wanted to keep it smooth)