1 Lilliana

The sun peeked over the horizon, splashing Willow Bay with vibrant hues of pink and gold. It's always been said that dawn is the universe's way of telling you to grab a fresh start. Today, it felt especially true.

Standing outside my shop, Willow Whims Café, the name inspired by one whimsical walk along our beautiful coastline, I felt a giddy rush of excitement. The annual Willow Waves Summer Festival was only a day away. The anticipation of the familiar festival scents of fresh berry pies, cinnamon rolls, and the deep aroma of coffee brewing gave me a heady mix of nostalgia and excitement. The town center was already filled with old wooden tables adorned with sunflowers looked straight out of a postcard.

Each festival was like stepping back into a picture book of memories. The music, the laughter, the taste of sweet cotton candy... I couldn't wait. I shook my head, driving away that fleeting thought. This year would be magical, I was sure of it.

As I busied myself with setting up for the morning rush, the soft chitter-chatter of the town's early birds reached my ears. Mrs. Oldenburg, our librarian who knew more secrets than the books she lent, was deep in conversation with Mrs. Sullivan, who probably knew the rest.

"Can you believe it? Y/n Grayson Van Doren is actually slumming it back to our little town for the festival!" Mrs. Oldenburg' voice dripped with a mischief that made me clench my fists.

I almost dropped the latte I was preparing, my hands trembling just a bit. Y/n Grayson. That name was a ghost from my past I hadn't been keen on revisiting.

Mrs. Sullivan gasped, "After all these years? What, did Seattle finally get tired of her? You'd think the festival would be too quaint for a city girl like her."

Mrs. Oldenburg leaned in closer, her eyes narrowing. "Well, you know She's been in some sort of trouble, right? Wouldn't be surprised if She's here to lay low. Probably thinks we're just the pit stop She needs to escape whatever mess She's gotten herself into"

I clenched my jaw, irritation bubbling up within me. So, Y/n was coming back, was she? Just when I thought I'd left those unsettling memories behind, it seemed like the universe had other plans.

Before I could eavesdrop any more, the front door opened with a chime, a foursome of college-aged girls, almost certainly students at the nearby university, poured in, their bright voices drowning out the gossip.

I fought to maintain my composure as I organized the pastries, but it was a losing battle. My heart pounded like a drum solo at a rock concert. Y/n  Grayson Van Doren. In this town. Today. What in the world had I done to deserve this cosmic joke?

Forcing a smile onto my face, I turned to greet the girls. "What can I get for you guys?" I asked, the picture of small-town hospitality. But inside, I was a tornado of conflicting emotions. Having her back in town didn't just make me jittery; it made me furious, dragging up memories of high school humiliations and broken friendships. So much for the calm before the storm.

The café was alive with the vibrant chatter of its morning patrons. The festival always brought out stories, but today, one story in particular seemed to dominate every conversation. Y/n Grayson Van Doren's unexpected return was the talk of the town.

Each whisper, each hushed conversation that wafted in my direction sent me reeling, my emotions tangled in knots. Sure, I felt a jolt of nerves, a shiver of anticipation, but also a strong surge of resentment. Y/n's return to Willow Bay wasn't just unsettling—it was downright aggravating.

In a town like Willow Bay, everyone knew everyone else's business, and Y/n wasn't just a footnote in my story. She was my older brother's best friend, and by that token, She'd been a near-constant fixture in my life. My secret childhood crush? Yeah, once upon a time. But admitting that now felt like a betrayal to my own dignity—because Y/n Grayson Van Doren had turned from childhood friend to my personal high school tormentor.