Chapter One

Jasper's POV

Waking up has always been been a pain in my ass, especially, on school days, but today, today is worse. So. Much. Worse.
Today is my first day of junior year, meaning it was my brothers senior year, meaning, next year, I'll have to experience the rest of high school without being dragged to random parties. Without sneaking out my window in the middle of the night for ice cream. Without cleaning up bear bottles and red solo cups in the middle of the night so my parents won't find them. Without my brother and his best friend. Without Castor and Braxton.
Slowly, I drag myself out of bed, slipping on the sweats that were laying over my bed frame and leaving the shirt I slept in on, and trudged my way to the bathroom I share with my older brother. Opening the cabinet behind the mirror, I pull out my anti-depressants and anxiety meds, and then turn towards the drawer we keep our toothbrushes, toothpaste, and deodorants, quickly brushing my teeth and putting the deodorant on, waking up to late to take a shower.

As I'm walking down the stairs, Braxton is walking in from the door, throwing the chain necklace he kept the spare key on back around his neck and kicking his shoes off by everyone else's. "Hey Mini Cortez!" He says, with an obnoxious smile plastered over his features as he jogs over to the end of stairs, sliding slightly as he's just wearing his socks, which obviously wouldn't have any traction.
"I'm not that much smaller, or younger, than Cassie, doofus" I roll my eyes, with a small smirk shining through my pale eyes. "Yeah yeah" he mumbles, wrapping his arm around my neck in a loose, playful chokehold as we both make our way towards the kitchen, knowing that everyone will be sat around the kitchen island joking and picking at their breakfast, too distracted by their conversations.
"Hey Mama Cortez!" Braxton announces, his signature smile back on his face as he waltzes into the kitchen, fist bumping my brother, and taking a pancake off his plate and eating it.
"Brax, I told you to call me Juliet!" My mom squeals, almost meeting his energy. "Mama Cortez is better" he states, playfully winking towards my mother, bleh. Disgusting. "You better not be flirting with my wife, boy" my dad grumbles, pouring himself his second cup of coffee. My fathers statement causes Braxton to visibly stiffen up, causing everyone to laugh. "I would never, Mr. Cortez, sir" he replies, slouching over to eat with a hesitant smile.

"Boys, don't forget that it's Etta's first year of high school, make sure you be gentle and kind to the poor thing." My mom says softly, referring to my younger cousin as she washes the dishes. Etta, or, Cossette, is my younger cousin, I don't know why my mother was saying to be gentle with her, though, the kids an absolute bitch.
Not in like a "oh I hate her" way. She's just mean and doesn't take anything lower than she expects, or that she wants.
"I'm driving us today!" Braxton states, rushing down the sidewalk with his shoes in his hand instead of putting them on like a normal person. "Since when did you have a license?" I replied, standing up from putting my shoes on. "Last weekend" he stated happily, as if my reply wasn't douchey. Castor just chuckled at his enthusiasm, while I playfully rolled my eyes as we started down the sidewalk after him.

Hopefully this year won't go by too fast...