Chapter Nineteen

Branson Williams

I've never seen Noah like this. I was getting dressed when dad yelled for me. I came downstairs, and Noah was sitting on the couch hyperventilating. I tried to talk to him, to calm him down. To reach him.

But I couldn't. Nothing worked and I was getting worried nothing would. But then I just kept touching him, trying to pull him back. Something worked. He slowly started to come back, and I was able to coax him upstairs.

He fell asleep a little bit ago, his head on my chest. Snuggled into my body. I know it was a panic attack. I've seen Can get them. It was a lot like his. I've had a couple of my own, in the safety of my room.

But I want to know what set him off. What made him so anxious he spiraled?

I don't know.

I guess I fell asleep at some point, but I woke up to the bed moving. Turning over, I see Noah sitting straight up, his back to me. Slowly sitting up, leaning on my elbows, I stare at him. "Feeling okay?"

"Oh hey" his voice is hoarse, and he turns, facing me.

"You okay?" I ask, again my eyes roaming his face. He looks okay, maybe a bit tired.

"Yeah, i'm good"

"What happened?"

"I uh.. My ceremony to become alpha is next weekend. I guess it kinda freaked me out" he takes a moment to say the words, taking a long pause between. He chews his lip, before continuing. "I'm sorry I came here like that. I just wanted to be with you" his voice is vulnerable. It makes my heart ache.

"You can always come to me" I sat up completely, scooting closer to him. "I'm not perfect, but I will listen. I care "I murmured, my eyes flicking between his. I hope they show how serious I am.

"You sure?" he asks, his body relaxing slightly.

"Of course"

"I'm scared I'll fuck up. That I won't live up to my dads potential. That I'll let you down" his eyes start to gloss, and he runs his fingers through his hair.

"First, you could never let me down, Noah. I believe in you, second, you will live up to your own potential. You don't need to be 'as good' as your dad. You need to do your best, because that's enough. For me, for the pack, for your parents. But it doesn't matter, what matters is it's enough for you" my words hold truth, and i say what comes to mind. Trying to stay positive.

"You mean that?"

"Yes, absolutely"

"Thanks pups, who knew you could be so serious" he cracks a smile, the sadness fading. It's still there, but I think I helped. I hope I helped.

—-

So I found out about Noah's ceremony, which means I also will be having one. Technically it's ours, and I guess it means I'm going to be Luna now. Not sure how I feel about that, since it's usually a women's role, and Alpha is male.

But maybe it's society putting that on me, and I need to break society 's. At least that's what I tell myself.

School has been dragging on this year, I feel like everyday takes 15 hours.

I've been talking to Harper more. It's fun, she's super chill and pretty funny. We're talking about the ceremony now in the study hall. She's so excited, because she can't wait for Noah to be alpha.

Harper smiles, nudging my shoulder. "Are you excited for your role to take place? I bet your sister is" she smiles wider, she loves talking about Layla. I think they'd be good friends.