The Mission

As the transport entered Russian airspace, a fierce blizzard blew in and made the ride very bumpy. Black Widow did her best to keep steady and not rock Tom about too much, but this proved to be very difficult. Fortunately, it would not be long before they were above the drop point. Unfortunately, conditions were too bad to make a landing, so Natasha would have to jump from the ship.

Black Widow: Alright Tom, we're at the dropoff point. You got the earpiece on?

Black Widow tapped the earpiece in her ear to point out what she was talking about. Tom responded by tapping on his own. With that, Black Widow scooped him up and placed him in one of the compartments on her belt. The black suited agent got to her feet and prepared to jump off the open bay door. Without an ounce of hesitation, she ran and leaped off, diving towards the ground and landing gracefully on the snow covered ground. The agent gave the all clear signal and the transport began flying back to the helicarrier.

Black Widow: Can you hear me Tom?

Tom: I hear you loud and clear Natasha.

Black Widow: It's Black Widow.

Tom: Okay Ms. Business, whatever you say.

Black Widow: I need to infiltrate the enemy base. Maintain radio silence until I give the signal.

Black Widow carefully snuck up to the enemy base, easily evading all the security cameras and turrets lining the perimeters. Once she found a good vantage point hidden by a large snowbank, Natasha scanned the sides of the base, looking for an easy opening. Sure enough, there was a small, unguarded vent at the bottom in front of her hiding spot. The operators had likely assumed no one would notice. But Black Widow was smarter than all of them and quickly dashed up to the vent. Unscrewing the covering, she yanked it away and crawled into the dark, cramped space. She then pulled out a small flashlight from her belt and brought it up to her mouth where she turned it on to a low light level and clenched it between her teeth. From there she began stealthily crawling through the vents, using her knowledge of the base's layout to navigate the maze-like structure.

While all of this was happening, Tom was jostled about in his small compartment. Natasha had a tendency to use many stunning acrobatics and fleet footed leaps to get around undetected, and it always resulted in Tom being a little… compartment sick. He didn't mind it however, if anything he enjoyed it. It was fun getting to hide away with her unnoticed while she did most of the espionage. The meager sidekick had never met such an incredible woman in all his life. But he knew now was not the time to be admiring Natasha for her amazing qualities, they were on an important mission. Once they reached the database, he would infiltrate the entry catalog and retrieve the enemy's plan. Tom could not screw this up, no matter what.

Black Widow soon reached the ventilation cage above the database. Turning off the flashlight and tucking it back in her belt, she scanned the room to make sure there wasn't anyone inside. Once she was sure the coast was clear, she gently removed the cage and dropped down into the room below.

Black Widow: Alright I'm in. Time to get down to business.

Natasha reached for her belt and opened Tom's compartment to take him into her hand.

Black Widow: Alright Tom, you know what to do right?

Tom: Infiltrate the data storage and steal the chip containing their plans. I've got this Natasha, don't worry.

Black Widow: Of course Tom, I'm just making sure. First we've gotta find where it is. Think you can subdue the computer protection systems?

Tom: Absolutely!

Black Widow: Good, let's get this over with as quickly as possible.

Natasha power walked over to the nearest computer and dropped Tom down to allow him to infiltrate the computer's circuits. This was something Tom had done on numerous occasions beforehand, so it took him very little time to shut off the security system of the computer. This allowed Black Widow to bypass any passwords or firewalls and, with a speedy pair of typing hands, determine the sector which held the villains’ plans.

Black Widow: Alright Tom, the data is in chip BN 235, directly in the east sector of the physical database bank.

Tom: Well let's get that chip and leave this dump.

Black Widow grabbed Tom and placed him back in his compartment of her belt. She then whipped out her grappling hook and zipped back up into the ventilation shaft. Once the cage was put back in place, Natasha began crawling through the vent again towards the database. As she did, Tom contemplated whether or not he should tell Natasha about his feelings for her following the mission. The possibility made him very nervous, but he desperately wanted to tell her. After all, she was easily the most beautiful and capable woman he had ever met in his entire life. Before he could contemplate any further, a knock on his compartment came from Black Widow with some unfortunate news. 

As they had neared the database room, Natasha discovered a snag in their plan.

Black Widow: Bad news Tom, there's no direct entrance into the database through the vents. You're gonna have to sneak in through the door while I wait outside and stand guard. You think you can handle it?

Tom: Of course I can. Don't worry about it.

Black Widow: Alright, just making sure.

With that, Widow knocked down the cage and jumped down into the cold white hall below. With precision and stealth akin to a ghost, she made her way to the door of the database and brought Tom down to the floor. With his feet on solid ground, the tiny spy slid through the small crack between the large doors. Black Widow waved her partner good luck… just as an ominous voice put her senses on high alert.

H.Y.D.R.A girl: Hey now Widow, what's your little friend up to?

Natasha's blood went cold and her heart began to beat furiously with worry; they'd been caught.