Chapter 2

Once she finally stepped up to her apartment, Penny inserted the apartment key and let the old cracked door swing open, keeping her tired eyes on the old, decrepit floor beneath her. The dimly lit hallway cast eerie shadows on the worn-out carpet, and the stale smell of neglect hung in the air.

“I’m home…” Penny grumbled quietly, letting the door creak to a close behind her. Her footsteps echoed through the empty hallway as she made her way to the living room. Penny stood by the door for a moment, the apartment in complete silence, before she finally looked up from the floor to see Johnny sitting on the couch with his eyes to the floor and his hands folded, almost as if he were in a complete daze.

Penny's heart sank as she took in the sight of Johnny. The room seemed heavy with unspoken tension, and she could sense that something was deeply troubling him. She moved closer, her footsteps barely making a sound on the worn-out carpet. Gently, she reached out and touched his shoulder, hoping to break him out of his reverie.

Penny took another step forward, her heart pounding in her chest. The silence in the room was deafening, and it made her feel uneasy.

“Johnny?” she murmured quietly, almost feeling a little nervous. Johnny had never been so quiet when Penny came back from work. He was always cheerful and happy and affectionate. But today he was just sitting there. Quietly. Distractedly.

As she approached him, Penny noticed the distant look in his eyes, the creases of worry etched across his forehead. She wanted to reach out to him, to understand what was troubling him, but she hesitated, unsure of how to approach the situation.

Johnny managed to look up at Penny after some time, the expression on the blondie’s face so indescribable that the ravenhead couldn’t help but frown. His heart sank further as he saw the mixture of concern and confusion in her eyes.

“Hey, Penny. Can we talk?” Johnny's voice was barely a whisper, filled with a sense of vulnerability that was rare for him. He shifted on the couch uncomfortably, his fingers nervously tapping against his thigh.

Penny's heart skipped a beat, her worry intensifying at the sound of Johnny's voice. She nodded, her eyes never leaving his face.

Penny felt her stomach lurch at the combination of words. Talk? What did they need to talk about? Not to mention the fact that Johnny had called his girlfriend by her government name. Where were the nicknames? Where was 'baby girl'? The absence of his usual terms of endearment sent a wave of unease crashing over her.

Her mind raced with possibilities, each one more terrifying than the last. Had he fallen out of love with her? Was there someone else? Panic threatened to consume her, but she fought to maintain a composed facade.

Penny's mind raced with questions, each one adding to her growing anxiety. What the hell was that look on his face? The two had been dating for at least a year now and had lived together in the apartment for half that time, yet Penny had never seen that look before. It was a mixture of sadness, remorse, and a hint of resignation. What was it for? What did it mean?

As she studied Johnny's expression, her heart sank further. There was a weight in his gaze that seemed to carry a thousand untold stories. It was as if he was grappling with something deep within himself, something he had kept hidden for far too long. The silence in the room became suffocating, amplifying Penny's growing unease.

“S-sure…” Penny struggled to say before slowly stepping over to her boyfriend and taking a seat on the couch beside him. Her heart raced with anticipation and worry, unsure of what would unfold in their conversation. She could feel the weight of the moment hanging heavily in the air.