Shots Before Memories

Smoke danced through the air as it left from the mouth of dry cracked lips. A man, Ennis, who was leaning against a trailer held a cigarette in one hand with his other on his belt that held his tucked in white and blue striped shirt.
It was just about dawn when the sun peeked over the mountains in the distance that captured the valley inside that Ennis's trailer rested in.
He looked up at the rising sun which reminded him of the mornings he spent with him. He tilted his hat and adverted his eyes from the sentimental view. He trailed off into thoughts and memories regrettably until he was startled by a ringing of his phone inside. No one ever called him unless it was a salesman or his ex-wife calling him about his custody. He ignored the phone and listened to its ring that matched the ringing in his head from his hangover.
Ennis picked up a poor drinking habit ever since the accident. It wasn't an accident though, was it?
He dropped his cigarette and pressed on it with his foot before he leaned upwards, fixing his insecure posture. He heard his phone make a beeping sound, indicating that someone left a voicemail message that the phone was about to share.
The voicemail was quiet at first, the only sound was shuffling and breathing that sounded almost like sobbing then he heard a familiar yet not voice, Like a memory without a face to it.
"Uh.. Ennis, it's Jack?" A man's voice rang through the phone, gentle but scared.
Ennis peaked into his trailer through his open window from where he was listening from and he felt salty tears forming into his eyes.
The voice remained silent for a long moment as Ennis reached for another cigarette by habit. He entered his trailer and sat down, letting the voicemail continue. His teeth gritted as he struggled to light his cigarette.
"I have a lot to explain, but will you listen? Call me back, please." Jacks voice filled with sorrow before the
Voicemail ended.
Ennis reached his cigarette towards his mouth before putting it down. He stood and opened his closet where a shirt with bloody stains accompanied it, it hung on his closet door neatly. He wasn't sure if he was dreaming, had an hallucination from his hangover or if this was genuinely, Jack fucking Twist.

Later that day, Ennis was sitting at a bar, the only one that's not a 2 hour drive from him. He had decorated the bar's counter with empty glasses and bottles scattered around. He looked across to him where a lady, long blonde hair tied back into a curly mess matching her messy but pretty makeup, sat. She smiled with a toothy flirty smile towards him and he tilted his hat in return. She stood and headed towards him. Once she was over she looked down at the counter covered in his empty bottles and glasses and smiled not so flirty this time, but comforting in a way.
She sat down beside him and grabbed the bottle in front of him and drank the rest.
"Drinking your feelings away?" She asked in her soft voice.
"Excuse me?" Ennis sounded partly offended but intrigued.
"Is it over a women?" She asked again then continued "I've seen men like you come in and out of the bar all heartbroken over a lady and think drinking one's feelings away will help, but it just don't. Talk to her, tell her how you feel, or you know, show her." Her voice sounded more bitter now and a hint of humor.
"Talk, huh?" Ennis's voice sounded more quiet and simple then hers. He got up from the counter and stood up like an unstable tower of insecurity.
"Need me to drive you home?" She asked but
Clearly indicating something more than just a drive to his home in her tone.
He shook his head and turned away. As he took steps to head to his truck, he felt tears forming again. "Dammit" he muttered to himself and entered his truck and slammed the door. He tried to forget everything that happened, the sheep, the bonfire, the tent, that entire mountain.
Leaned forwards on his wheel and bit the side of his cheek. He started his car and steered himself away from the bar, occasionally swerving to one side of the road to the other. If it wasn't such an unpopulated town, he would have definitely hit another car but no one but him was on the road that afternoon.
Once he reached his trailer he hurried himself inside and reached his phone. He picked it up and dialed a series of numbers on the keys.
The phone echoed as it rang through the trailer.
This repeated multiple times until a voice answered.
"Ennis?"

(Authors note: Next park will come out next week!)