A Disaster, That's What

Cassian was confused.

Of course, he was—anyone would be in his situation! Hell, he wasn't even sure what his situation even was yet. He'd been on a mission in Greece, that much he knew but everything after that was a blur. Where even was he? He couldn't open his eyes to check and his body felt too numb to move.

It was like a void everywhere, holding him hostage and dragging him down.

That's right! He remembered now! He'd been attacked! Jack, Lyra, but who else?

Right, they'd shot him! He'd fallen off the cliff! He'd been sure he was dead, so then why . . .?

Suddenly he felt his entire body twitch painfully, a burn suddenly blooming in his chest as he lurched backward, coughing and gasping for breath as water poured from his mouth.

White.

The first thing he saw was something white. The floor? Floor of what? Where?

Cassian flinched as another wave of pain hit—strangling the air from his lungs. He fell sideways grasping at his chest in an attempt to relieve the weight crushing him. His fingers found the fabric of his shirt and he pulled, still choking on the phantom of water. There was a slight give to the fabric and the weight seemed to lessen slightly; after a few more moments he was able to get a hold of his breathing and glanced around to try and get his bearings.

"What the hell?!"

That voice—Korean? But no he'd been in Greece, right?

Cassian turned to find a shadowed form of a person standing behind him. It was hard to see with the tears in his eyes. Short black hair, brown eyes, a messy white button-down that was falling off one shoulder, and a dark grey skirt. Who was this person?

"Who—?" Cassian tried to speak, only to freeze at the sound of his voice. it sounded . . . feminine? Wait a minute—Cassian looked down at himself.

Dark grey skirt, white button-down shirt half hanging off the right shoulder, white bandages wrapped around his chest.

"What the fuck?"

"Oh, you're both awake? Huh, that wasn't supposed to happen."

Cassian and the other girl turned at the sound of the new voice to find a weird floating black orb of smoke staring at them.

"What are you?!" The other girl spoke up before Cassian had a chance.

"I'm moros! And apparently, I revived both of you!" the orb grinned despite only having one eye and no mouth.

"Oh god, I'm dead??!"

"You're dead?! No, I'm dead! I just fell off a cliff! They shot me in the heart!"

"Calm down both of you. Only one of you is technically still dead," the orb turned to Cassian," you're apparently a ghost possessing this kid's body. Though I had planned to have you take over completely initially, this works too."

"I'm a what?! Wait no, I don't want to possess her! How do I get out?!"

"Hey, Dickwad! I'm not a girl!"

"Well sorry but I'm a little too freaked out at the moment to worry about pronouns! I'll ask you later! Just get me out!"

"Fine, you're such drama queens." The orb let out a sigh and Cassian suddenly found himself flying backward.

He didn't end up hitting the ground, instead floating in the air as the body he'd previously been occupying slumped lifelessly to the ground. After a moment, it twitched to life as the other's spirit was sucked back in. Cassian ducked out of the way as they swung at the orb. Given he wasn't used to being a floating entity, Cassian ended up flying farther than he'd meant to, only to suddenly get yanked backward as the other kid continued to chase after the orb.