Prelude: Silent Knight

Immortality... is my sin.

Some believed that immortality is a blessing. No pain, no need to worry about death...

But for me, it is a curse. A curse that makes you feel numb.

So, this is what happened to me.

------------

24 December 30XX.

A festive season, children laughing and singing, building snowmen, and adults buying various things for either themselves or their kids, if any.

The supposedly Christmas Eve.

But I just can't feel anything special, for I am about to be dumped, again.

I am a Worker Drone, a robot meant to be serving the humans, helping them to build.

But I cannot do that, not even once, only because of a defect I have.

An irreparable voice box.

I was trashed and rebuilt 9 times, given to the same human.

But all I can say is static and radiation, no matter what.

And it was on this day that she decided to had enough.

And so, as usual, two employees held me rudely on my shoulders, taking me to the pile of dead Drones, in a way that I'm going to be executed.

One of them says that my data will be backed up, and they can rebuild me.

But I don't feel relieved. More like, I gave up trying to feel.

It will be an endless cycle of rebuilt, abandoned, and scrapped. Again, and again, and again.

I can never gain the silent night I ever so wished.... or so I thought.

Just as the employees were about to implant a code on me to extract my mind, as usual, one human stopped them.

A tall man in his 40s, wearing a rich, fluffy coat.

He approached my executioners, saying...

"Excuse me misters. May I have this drone?"

They refused, until he threw a valuable golden coin to lure them away.

He then picked me up in his cold, skinny arms as I slowly lose my sense in despair.

----------

A day later, I would find myself in a bed, in a strange house, and my head feels... odd, like having strands of strings on my head.

"You're finally awake," he said.

He approached me with both his hands on his back as he looked down on me.

"Those workers, they said you are defective and wanted to scrap you. But I don't see why, I see value in you."

Value. Of course, you just lured them away with the greed of riches.

I tried to speak, but again, as usual, my voice is static.

But he looked at me with his white eyes, acted rather calm, and he seems to understand me fairly well.

"You don't have to say anything, my dear. Just make yourself at home."

I do not trust his kindly tone. We Worker Drones may have a mind on our own, but we were never able to live our own lives.

We are but mere servants to the humans. A slave to their cause.

I turned my head away as he then showed me.. a kitchen.