Connection

THE GRAND FOREST was both a playground and a school for Orion. Sunlight fell through leaves like golden coins, and his laughter echoed as he played with squirrels. They chased each other up branches so high that the ground became a distant memory. Afternoons brought adventures. He found secret waterfalls to take a bath in, splashing in the spray and watching fish dart like streaks of silver in the clear pools below. Hunger would send him seeking red sweet berries, their tangy flavor a delicious reward.

But Orion's connection to the forest went deeper than just playing.  The animals taught him about their unique magic. A butterfly, its wings a dazzling canvas, might demonstrate how to conjure playful illusions. Fireflies at dusk became tiny teachers, showing how to create sparks of light that twinkled like stars. Sometimes, a majestic stag would lower his antlers for Orion to touch, a makeshift wand sparking swirls of untamed magic. It was a power as wild as the forest itself, yet somehow safe and familiar, like the beating of Orion's own heart.

One day, as Orion climbed a mossy rock, he saw that his animal friends were unusually agitated. Their eyes were wide with worry, they nudged him, their usual playful energy replaced by an urgent concern. Trusting them without question, Orion followed as they ventured deeper into the woods. They led him to a cave – a place where sunlight barely penetrated the shadows.

Inside the cave, a woman lay on the cool stone floor. Her mana was weak, and she looked exhausted.  Orion felt the need to help her, so he hurried towards the woman.

"Are you hurt?" he asked, his voice soft and echoing in the quiet cave.

The woman was very weak, but she tried to smile. "Yes, little one. There's a darkness growing in this part of the forest……..searching for ancient and forbidden spells in the Grand Forest to create a catastrophe"

Orion gasped but regained composure after seeing that the woman was injured and bleeding on her waist.

Orion wanted to help, so he immediately went outside to collect items that would help, he gathered herbs, brought cool water from a nearby stream, and built a small fire to chase away the chill.  The forest animals watched closely, protecting, and sometimes helping Orion carry the stuff back to the mysterious woman.

"Why are you helping me?" she asked, her eyes filled with surprise and gratitude. "You don't even know my name."

Orion's heart was simple: it saw someone injured and wanted to help regardless of who she was. "You needed help," with a warm smile he said, "and I also wanted to be your friend."

As they spent time together, Orion cared for the woman's wounds wrapped in makeshift bandages using leaves and string they shared the berries the forest gave him. In the dim light, they talked, and he always referred to her as "Miss" since he did not know her name yet.

"You're such a kind boy," she said one evening, her eyes searching his face in the firelight.

Orion smiled, his emerald-eyes sparkling with a gentle warmth.

In the heart of the Grand Forest, a special bond began to grow between a child and a mysterious woman. Their connection wasn't about family; it was about kindness and the shared whispers of the woods. This was just the beginning of their journey, and Orion had no idea of the mysteries – or the dangers –  that awaited them both.

2  DAYS LATER

DAYS IN THE DIMLY LIT CAVE passed slowly for Orion. He cared for the mysterious woman, still referring to her as "Miss,". Their bond grew stronger each day as he became her little helper and friend.