Chapter 16: In Other News

"Why did you never tell me about him?"
"You can't miss an uncle you've never heard of."
"That is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard."
Alex laughed, something she hadn't done in a long time.
"It is pretty silly, isn't it?"
They were sitting on Alex's bed, side by side, clasping hands, tear-stained cheeks twitching as each tried to suppress a smile.
"I meant what I said, Mum. You're not alone."
"You're right. Thank you, honey. Tell you what, after the summit I'll get Connor and see if he can help."
Aurelia smiled."
"You excited to see him?" She asked.
"Very." Alex smiled back. "And you never know, he might bring back-up."
"The fabled Book Huggers?" Aurelia asked, giggling. Alex gave a snort.
"I forgot I told you about them." She said. "I sincerely doubt they'll be coming."
The pure, mother-and-daughter moment was interrupted by a vision of Emerelda's face, which burst into being directly in front of Alex. Her beautiful features were stern and worried.
"Council meeting. Now." The face said, and disappeared in a puff of green smoke, taking Alex with it.

"Dear, you don't look anywhere near fifty."
"Well OF COURSE I don't!" Red Riding Hood snapped. "But that's not the point."
Sensing a rant coming, Froggy hastily kept on speaking.
"But maybe what Hero said is a good idea. Quell the Centre Kingdom's doubts. Prove your loyalty to Alex. Be a great Queen and a greater friend." Red still didn't seem convinced. "I mean, I'd do it myself, but-"
"No, you're right, dear, we don't want a repeat of the last time you tried public speaking. I'll do it."
Froggy beamed.
"Wonderful, darling. I'm so pleased to hear it."

Aurelia felt like a little girl again, spying on the Council's meetings.
"So it's settled." Emerelda was saying.. "I'll go to the summit with Alex; Rosette, Coral and Violetta will fly to other kingdoms rallying support and reminding people of the good Alex has done; Tangerina and Skylene will try and source these attacks; and Xanthous will stay behind to supervise Aurelia.
"Absolutely not!" Xanthous thundered just as Aurelia whispered,
"Not happening!"
"Xanthous, please." Alex said in her most placating tone. "I trust you to look after my daughter."
"Fairy Godmother, I'm begging you. Let me come with you to the summit. Or to find out who's doing this, or even to rally support! Anything but staying behind and being a babysitter!"
Alex and Emerelda shared a look.
"Who would you suggest to stay instead?"

"Your Highness, what do you have to say about the allegations that Alex's success is largely due to her brother, Connor?"
"I don't remember ever meeting Connor." Princess Ash replied firmly. "So I don't believe I'm in a good position to answer that."
"But, your Highness, who can forget his rubber band trick, which Rubber Band Bridge is named after?"
"It was very clever." Ash answered simply.
"Your Highness, do you think Alex is a good Fairy Godmother?"
"I'm not her goddaughter. I'm not the person to ask."

"But do you think she's fit to lead the kingdoms?"
Inwardly, Ash groaned.
"Alex Bailey has done a remarkable job bettering the whole Happily Forever After Assembly. The royal families are indebted to her."
"How so?"
"Well, let me think. She saved the kingdoms from Evly, Ezmia, the Grand Armée and the Masked Man's literary army. She saved many royal's lives when they would have been burned at the stake, and again when they would have been beheaded." It was more snappish than she was supposed to be, but it felt so good.

"I'm really not sure this is the best way."
"It will be a good experience for her." Alex insisted.
"But-"
"She'll be fine. Come on, honey."
Alex helped a grinning Aurelia into the carriage.
"I like this arrangement." She whispered.
"Me too." Alex winked.
Aurelia's hair had been swept up into a bun, with a spell holding stray strands in place (one of the most helpful charms she'd ever learned). She wore a white a-line dress with dove-grey accents, a reverse of her mother's own silver-grey dress, and a thin gold and sapphire ring marking her as an official summit attendee. Opposite her, Emerelda was perusing some documents in a moss-green wrap dress and malachite necklace.

"Now, you know what to do once we get there, right?" Xanthous, wearing a crisp mustard yellow suit.
"Yes, Xanny." Aurelia replied cheekily.
"What have I told you about that name?" Xanthous said irritably, gaze shifting to Alex.
"It's what OMG calls you." Aurelia shrugged
"You've never even met her!" He exclaimed, flames rising higher.
"Xanthous, calm down. Aurelia, stop winding him up." Emerelda said, hiding a smile behind her papers.
Xanthous harrumphed as Aurelia giggled.
"We're close to Charming City now." Alex told them. "Nearly there."

Hope, dressed in a red silk apron dress and matching shoes, tried to hide her anxiety as she greeted royals at the door. A carriage decorated with golden thorns pulled up and Queen Sleeping Beauty, King Chase, and her cousin Princess Ash.
"Good morning, Your Majesties." She curtsied to them.
"Good morning, Your Highness." King Chase bowed low and kissed her hand.
"Good morning, Princess Hope." Sleeping Beauty smiled demurely.
"Morning, Hope!" Ash beamed, looking beautiful in a dark green cape dress and matching cloak.
"Ash." Chase chided softly.
"Good morning, Princess Hope. It's a pleasure to be here." She tried again.
"It's a pleasure to have you, Princess Ash." Hope smiled back with a subtle wink.

"The representatives of the Fairy Council have arrived." A footman announced.
Hope beamed as Emerelda entered, followed by Xanthous, Alex, and a teenage girl who looked a bit like Alex but not quite.
"Presenting Emerelda Stone, Xanthous Hayfield, Alexandra Bailey and Aurelia Bailey." The footman said, as each one took their place at the long table. At the head was Cinderella, with Hope on her left and King Chance on her right. To Chance's right was King Chase and King Chandler, who sat opposite their wives, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. To Snow's left sat Rapunzel, then Sir William, and then an empty seat with a placecard marked
Trollbella
Troblin Kingdom
Xanthous, as directed, sat to the left of that chair, then Emerelda and Alex took the seats at the end of the table. Aurelia sat on Alex's left, next to a tall, formidable looking woman whose placecard marked her out as
Empress Elvina
Elven Kingdom
Beyond Elvina were two empty seats for Queen Red Riding Hood and King "Froggy" Charles.

"When we are all seated," Cinderella told them, "the summit will begin."