Prologue

On April 12, 2015, I killed my ex wife. At least that's what the media says. My name is Arthur Cooper, and I'm currently being held under the charges of first degree murder and possession and use of narcotics. So what better time to explain the confusion of the San Diego Police Department.

They claim that I put ketamine, a common date rape drug, in her drink to knock her out while we were having lunch at her house. We were discussing our son's 18th birthday party. His name is James, and since his mom and I had split we've had joint custody. I get him one weekend a month during the school year, then for one month during the summer.

It was a bright, warm Sunday afternoon in mid April, one of the first of the year. His birthday was exactly 3 weeks away, the 3rd of May. For his 16th we had still been recently divorced, so I couldn't afford much, but I managed to get him a used acoustic guitar, a dozen picks, a tuner, and a month of lessons. I had attempted to teach him on my electric guitar a few years back, but I'm not the greatest teacher and he was a little too young and impatient.

By James's 17th birthday, I was a little more financially stable, but he had been distant within the few months before, so I wasn't sure what he would want. So I decided to pay his next 3 car payments. It wasn't the greatest car, but it got him around. It was a little 2005 Chevy Impala, one his grandpa, my dad, had helped him get an amazing deal on. Before he retired in 2010, he was the manager of 3 Chevrolet dealerships in the San Diego area. He was still close with some of the new managers, so he managed to pull a few strings and got him a great deal with low interest on the Impala.

This past year we had really gotten closer. I'm not sure if it was the realization he won't be seeing me much more, or if he's finally maturing into the kind of man I always wanted him to be, but we've gotten along fantastically. Or so I thought. Just this past weekend we had done everything he wanted. We went bowling at his favorite bowling alley, we went hiking due to the sudden spring weather, and went to see the new scary movie he had been dying to go see. It was truly wonderful. Wonderful, that is, until that fateful Sunday afternoon...

______________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey! So this is my first installment of my book, Framed in the First Degree. I'd love to get some feedback from you guys in the comments, so let me know what you think!!!