Chapter: 001 - Wild Reminder

Nature often teaches us that, regardless of the passage of time, we remain mere spectators of life's darkest mysteries, in its most primitive form. For this reason, those who employ every means to survive should not be accused of savagery as they delve into the unknown.

Those who dedicate themselves to studying the great mysteries that life conceals within itself know that one must be keen to find beauty in the shadows. For no malevolent act is entirely cruel, and no kind gesture is completely free of darkness; everything lies in the balance between ethics and morality. Therefore, the most sensitive among us can affirm nothing but its majesty.

Alecksander Herager.

With the first rays of sunlight filtering through the branches of the tall pine trees in the forest, painting golden sparkles on the ground covered with dry leaves, Chelsea, with her angelic appearance, walked towards the river to wash her face and awaken her senses. Her bare feet sank into the damp grass as she walked. The night had left dewdrops in every corner of the valley, slope, and forest. The moss-covered stones enjoyed various shades thanks to the lichen, and the small wildflowers danced to the wind's tune and the murmur of the water. She used to hum an ancient melody that Dreew had taught her; the lyrics spoke of parallel worlds, men turned into legends, and realms forgotten in time. Each note resonated in the air like the echo of a distant past... The farm birds, curious, followed her steps to the shore, where they stopped to observe the magic happening there.

The wind swayed the tree branches with a fresh breeze, bringing with it a scent of damp earth and pine resin. The little girl delicately lifted her dress before dipping her feet into the water and allowing the current to wash away all her impurities. Leaning her body over the surface, she observed her reflection attentively.

Platinum blonde hair cascaded in soft waves, like the frame decorating a face as pale as canvas. The sapphires she wore as eyes, seemed to steal the color of the sky, while her long eyelashes fluttered like butterfly wings. All this and more she observed, every time she directed her attention to the surface of the crystal-clear water. But there was something the little girl sought not to find...

When Margaret turned sixteen, her freckles had almost disappeared completely, leaving her skin with a much cleaner and more attractive finish. Consequently, she attracted the admiration of many young suitors, who secretly and openly dreamed of possessing her. But only Kasiee could steal a smile from her when she least expected it. Since then, Chelsea adopted the habit of studying her face well, making all kinds of gestures without neglecting any detail, hoping to one day wake up and discover that her freckles had also vanished, sensing that it would help her, finding her true platonic love.

Over time, we became accustomed to seeing melancholy settle on her face at the end of the same routine with each new dawn. Sometimes, she found herself arguing with her own reflection, as if it too shared her discontent. After her predictable disappointment, the little girl washed her face, then her feet, put on her shoes, and walked to the stables where I was feeding the horses as usual, with slight traces of anguish in her eyes, Chelsea asked me, "Alecks, do you think we'll ever be able to visit dad?" The question hung in the air like an old bird feather separating after so much fluttering. Our father, a member of Adatense nobility, prioritized his duties as a noble over his parental responsibilities. His visits were so sporadic, that we came to know him much better through his letters, through which his personality revealed itself to be calm, gentle, and welcoming. He wrote as if he had been present in every moment, as if his departure were recent, as if he knew us as well as Elizabeth, something we would have liked to have in common.