Chapter 1

'Look Autumn, that Jedi mind trick might work on Winter, but it will NOT work on me.'

***

It was a crisp Monday morning and Majorie had walked through the office door to see Autumn. In their year of working together, she had gotten used to the sombreness that almost resided on Autumn's face, almost expecting to see it. But, that morning was different. She looked sullen, silently resenting...something, that in itself would not have phased Marjorie, it was the shadow of hurt lingering behind her eyes.

'Autumn? You okay?' she asked nonchalantly, while putting down her bag and logging into the computer.

As expected, Autumn had shot her a glare and acknowledged her with annoyance.

Normally, Marjorie knew when to leave it, but since she'd been with Reece, and learnt all the trauma of their childhoods, she just didn't have it in her to wait.

'Autumn...'

With a sigh, she stopped the irritated rhythm of her keystrokes, letting her hands rest upon the keyboard in quiet frustration, staring out her boss.

'Look Autumn, that Jedi mind trick might work on Winter, but it will NOT work on me. I know the difference between an Autumn face and a 'something's wrong' face.'

It was at that moment that she stopped and looked utterly defeated and held up her left hand. Upon her fourth finger was a ring. It was a sleek, blackened metal band adorned with intricate details, a striking black diamond at the centre.

"Winter proposed," she announced quietly.

Majorie's initial joy quickly turned to confusion. "Autumn! That's wonderful news! Wait...what's wrong then?"

The hurt softened Autumn's features as she explained further. "While you were over at the sister nursery with Carly and my brother on Friday evening, after everyone had gone home, Winter had come to get me and while my back was turned he'd proposed. I, obviously, said yes, but we went to see my father for Sunday lunch."

Observing the disgust on Majorie's face, Autumn clarified, "Of course I'll never forgive him for what he did...but he's my father and I owed him the courtesy of informing him."

"Oh, Autumn..." Majorie trailed off, at a loss for words.

"Regardless," Autumn continued, regaining her composed demeanour, "he noticed the ring before I had a chance to say anything. He asked the question, and I just told him outright. To put it bluntly, he saw red and threw himself across the table at us. He...will not be in attendance at the wedding."

Majorie, despite knowing of the terrible things Rodger had done to his children, understood Autumn's desire for acceptance, even if it was fleeting. Before she could respond, Autumn broke the silence, her usual icy composure returning.

"Are you and my brother free this evening? The new pub along the road's chunky chips look amazing...but Marjorie, don't tell him. You know how he got his nickname and I'd rather he stay out of jail."

Agreeing with a nod, Majorie turned her attention to the ringing phone, the day's tasks already piling up.