Chapter Thirteen

"DO something

    "DO something."

As the words leave my mouth, Sarah spins around and fumbles with some settings on a control panel. Peering around the edge of the house, I watch as the sprinklers turn on. Many shouts of protest is heard as the guards fumble around, John B being shoved face first into the grass.

"Cut it off!" One orders. 

As they start heading towards us I spin around and shove Sarah into a tiny shed, our eyes wide as he comes near us and messes with the panel Sarah was just at. After a few seconds, the sounds of the sprinklers shut off and the guard retreats. My eyes lock onto a can of bug shield and I tell Sarah to be quiet before I rush around the corner.

"What is going on?" I loudly make my presence known. I throw my hands up with the bug repellant on show as some guards point their guns at me.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Florence. I'm house-sitting for the Cameron's!" I lie but keep my face level with a confused expression.

"You live here?" A guy talks over me.

"No, I'm house-sitting. I just started a couple days ago." I let my arms drop as the guards put their weapons down, satisfied with my answer.

"We caught this guy trying to break in." The head guard gestures to John B and I blurt out in confusion as I walk to see his face. I notice the terror in his gaze as I glance at the guards around him.

"Oh, I know him." I keep my stance taut as I get ready to help John B out of this mess. "He cleans boats for the neighbors."

"Which Neighbors?"

"The Kingsley's. Right next door." I jab a thumb over my shoulder, noticing how skeptical the guard was getting.

"What's his name?" He questions further, stepping closer to me.

"Felix." I pull my arm up and squeeze the trigger, spraying bug repellant in his eyes before doing so to the next guard as John B fights the other two.

"Rory, come on! Sarah, go to the car." John B shouts as he darts for the truck we drove in here. Sarah and I dive into the back as John B starts the car and we slowly start moving.

"Go! Go! Go! Go!" Sarah and I yell as a guard comes barreling towards us, gaining distance easily.

I slap the window in urgency as the guy grabs on the edge of the truck and wraps his hand around Sarah's ankle. I can only watch as she all but kicks him off, sending him to the pavement.

As we leave past the gates, John B calls out to us, "You guys good?"

I grab Sarah's arm and pull her closer to the front so she doesn't fall off before asking if she's okay. She nods, out of breath as we retreat to a safe place. Once we come to a stop, I climb out with anger in my veins, still upset, especially since Terrance now had our only money and he knows about the rest of the gold and left us stranded.