PROLOGUE

What type of events in history caused such an arbitrary future for the rest of humanity? 

Well, what type of question was that? 

We have enough imperfection built in as it is, at least that's what your everyday doctor would say. Almost as if the introduction for the adults wanting to step into parenthood was scripted to fit every single one of them.

Y/N's family wasn't even sure what convinced her mother to have a natural birth instead of a guaranteed one and she had a natural birth three damn times, not once touching the scientists recommended way of bringing a new body into the world. 

But it kind of sucked because Y/N can't actually do anything in a world with a genetic hierarchy. She was a God-Child and nothing more.

For some odd reason though, what was supposed to be a stationary insult for the inferior being, sounded much more like an earned title, something you would have been awarded with after you finished your course.

So why was it that Y/N couldn't get anywhere in this life? Why do scientists play their immovable cards given to them by society to take the place of God? It ruins peoples lives and it's in the Bible anyway from Ecclesiastes, specifically chapter seven, versus thirteen. "Consider God's handiwork; who can straighten what he hath made crooked?" 

That's what it says no? So why was it always ignored? The verse was blatantly obvious.

Like... Duh, maybe don't exploit your power to create a better society because you think you can do it better than God himself, the one who started this whole human thing. In this day in age, most people are in the system as genetically valid humans, people that were basically grown in a lab instead of the womb.

The point is, whether you believe the Bible or not, that verse was a warning, a command to not try and fix what was made broken to begin with. It determines the freewill and soul that people were born with and removing that is to remove a piece of humanity is it not? 

But scientists don't care to listen to things like that, After all, they're the "educated ones" aren't they?

A life that all God-children were given, forced to the bottomless pit of borderline slavery for something they couldn't control whilst being labeled as an in-valid human. The audacity to be treated as something less than when you were just like everyone else, only with slightly more imperfections was infuriating.

Y/N isn't even entirely sure what it was about this life that bothered her to no end besides that. Whether she was a God-child or not didn't really matter since she was sure that she wouldn't have amounted to anything anyway. 

She doesn't have the drive to become better or make something of herself, but many others did. Like Vincent Anton Freeman, the brother of Anton Freeman and the son of Marie and Anton Freeman.

He had disappeared a while back and only recently had Y/N gotten back into contact with him... Of course, it wasn't exactly the way she would have liked to talk again.

Maybe this is what made her mad at life but who knows, just don't ask her because she sure doesn't have a clue as to why she doesn't like the world or that she's so pissed at Vincent right now.

Willard Gaylin had once said in a speech that he not only thinks we'll tamper Mother Nature with this genetic mess of tests, but that Mother Nature wanted us to do that anyway, or something along those lines. It didn't make much sense to Y/N at the time, but in a way, it does now.

For the genetically superior, success has always been easier to attain, it's always offered to them, always given on a silver platter in hopes to get better results than what your average in-valid would have been able to produce. 

But despite that, success is by no means guaranteed to the stronger and more efficient human being surprisingly enough. 

After all, there is no gene you could program into a human to guarantee fate, so it makes sense that a genetically better person would turn his genetic superiority into a commodity for the unscrupulous.

He must have fallen on some pretty hard times to break the law but that wasn't the question that was going through Y/N's mind at the moment. 

The question was why was Y/N here in this crippled man's house when she wasn't even the one trying to become a borrowed ladder?