1. new year's day '23

*Tap Tap Tap*

As Shubman leaned against the wall, the pulsating beat of the music faded into the background, replaced by the dull hum of conversation as the party dwindled. His phone screencast a soft glow on his face as he furiously typed out a message, oblivious to the mistake he was about to make.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

SHUBMAN

Hey Meri Jaan! Happy New Year!
Missed you at the party!

sent at 3: 45 a.m.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

He tapped out, a response to the number, his fingers fumbling slightly over the keys. With a satisfied grin, he hit send and slipped the phone back into his pocket, feeling a sense of accomplishment wash over him. But as he turned to leave, a nagging thought tugged at the corner of his mind. Had he gotten Ishan's number right? He paused, pulling a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket and squinting at the digits scrawled upon it.

"9832015930," he muttered to himself, tracing the numbers with his finger. "Right. 30. Not 32. Shit. Shouldn't have had too many drinks."

But even as he reassured himself, a small voice in the back of his mind whispered doubts about having to go and maybe delete the message. But those were doubts drowned out by the haze of alcohol and the euphoria of the night.

As he stood there, lost in thought, a figure approached, breaking through his reverie.

"Hey there," a voice called out, drawing his attention. Shubman glanced up to see a familiar face approaching through the dimly lit hall. It was Shreyas Iyer, his close friend and the host of tonight's extravagant New Year's Eve party.

"Hey, Shrey," Shubman replied, offering a lopsided smile. "Thanks for throwing such an epic party, man."

Shreyas grinned, clapping a hand on Shubman's shoulder. "Anytime, buddy. You know how we do it."

Shubman chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Yeah, definitely."

As the two friends exchanged pleasantries, Shubman's mind drifted back to the message he had just sent. A sudden wave of uncertainty washed over him, and he couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right.

"Hey, Shubman, you okay?" Shreyas's voice cut through his thoughts, concern etched on his face.

Shubman shook his head, forcing a smile. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just tired, I guess."