The decisions we made

Chapter one

Rex meets Hazel for the first time

Ethan

Age 18

I had to wait my turn to do these tryouts like everybody else so I could be on the figure skating team. I'd been taking lessons since I was a kid and now I'm old enough thank god.

Next a guy shouts.

I'm Ethan Godwin from Wisconsin I say.

Yeah and I've been here all day he snaps.

What the fuck I say quietly going on to the ice now and stopped in the middle and the music played and I did the routine for a few minutes then asked the asshole what he thought.

I'll get back to you, he says.

I nodded, then sat down and covered my blades before I went to the cafeteria. I heard voices coming from the other rink so I walked to the balcony.

You're too slow the guy shouts.

I watched the person skating as he tries to get to the net where the goal keeper was now but he was just about to hit the puck when another tall man gets it and skates away from him the younger guy looked defeated and shook his head so I went to the rink and I wasn't as tall but still worked out so my body's in good shape especially me being 18 I could skate rings around these guys so as the guy comes towards me I asked if he's ok.

Nah I'll never be able to keep up he said.

I'll be back, I say.

You can't go on the ice while the players practice, he shouts.

Watch me.

I counted five players and they were built like brick shit houses tall and solid so I grabbed the hockey stick and watched them carefully now then skate towards the man who's about to pass the puck and get to it faster.

who the hell are you he hissed from inside his helmet.

The person who's going to skate rinks around you, catch me if you can.

Pass the puck his friend shouts.

I wouldn't keep them waiting.

get him he shouts coming towards me fast.

get him off the ice, their coach shouts.

I had five men skating after me so when they were all in the middle of the rink I still had the puck so I circled them now.

Slow the fuck down, a guy says.

Come and get the puck I said smirking.

One player moved and tried to hit it away from me but I skated around the back of the goal net now.

I spot another player circling the rink faster.

Behind you the person I'd talked to shouts.

Once the hockey player came towards me he went to grab me but I ducked underneath his arm and still had the puck.

The players were all talking near the goal and one looked at me now and nodded his head.

Bring it on guys I say.

Their coach didn't look happy either so I had to score. I was flexible so I did a few moves then hit the puck towards the net and the players went towards it now.

Get the fucking puck a guy shouts.

I was going so fast towards the net I couldn't stop so I grabbed the goalie and he fell backwards with me on top of him now.