Therapy Session

Dean sat down on the comfortable sofa and smiled falsely at his new therapist. Dr. Karla Sofen was a tall, willowy blonde who favored neutral tones and a minimalist approach to her glamour. The only piece of jewelry she wore was a lovely gem stone attached to a golden chain around her neck. Seated in the wing chair opposite him, she was the perfect picture of a quiet and patient clinician.

"So, it's been a while since I've been able to come in for a session," Dean sighed.

Karla could see the weariness in the superhero's eyes and knew that the insurmountable burden of having to recount all of his recent tragedies was a lot for the young man. "Go at your own pace, Dean," she invited. "You know I can keep up with you."

Dean smiled softly and shrugged his shoulders. "I feel like I'm always bringing some new bullshit to you."

Karla sighed. "Dean, you act like it's not my job to help you process your...bullshit. I think you're taking your frustrations out in the wrong way."

"What do you mean?"

"Rather than allowing yourself to be angry at the events that have happened that weren't in your control, you're trying to take control and blame yourself in some way. Don't do that."

"But I'm really good at it."

Karla smiled at her patient. "Trust me- that is not a strength we need to be fostering. Now...why don't we begin where we left off at your last session."

Dean leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. "Well...last time I spoke to you I was still having nightmares about Set. And what happened."

"Does Thor know? I know you made it a goal to involve him more."

Dean nodded his head. "Yeah, he knows about them."

"That's good. Thor is a very strong support for you."

Dean felt lighter just thinking about his husband and the way he easily leaped in to share his burdens with him. "I still think about what happened when I was under Set's control. Not just the...sexual things. But also the damage I caused. I really made a lot of people afraid. I still feel like I haven't exactly atoned for that. But I'm better than I was. Thor has helped me to sort of make some kind of peace with the fact that I wasn't in control of myself. And...it helps that I have Kyle and the others. We've been leaning on each other a lot."

Karla nodded in understanding. "You've always been very good at understanding that recovering from trauma isn't a linear process. Things have a tendency to ebb and flow. But you keep moving forward."

"I try."

"You succeed."

Dean smiled sheepishly. "Of course, you know that isn't all that's been going on lately. I mean, I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a new concern all the time."

Karla waited patiently. She knew that Dean was about to begin discussing his mother's recent death. Instinctively, she reached for the box of tissues and moved to sit next to him as he began to recount what had taken place during the weeks following their last session. She displayed perfect empathy and concern, listening to him and allowing him the space to explain what had transpired. When the dust finally settled, she remained silent, waiting for him.

"After it happened," Dean carried on. "Thor and I went to the Netherworld to get Modi and Magni back. We took several people with us and even recruited an army to help us fight. It was...scary and dangerous. But I didn't care. I would do it again just to save the boys."

"And while you were there...you confronted Amora."

"I killed her," Dean said in a flat voice. "Thor and I...we killed her."