Bᴇʟʟʏ's 16ᴛʜ

______________________________________

Dakota sat at the table with his sister as everyone was setting up for Belly's birthday breakfast. Except for Conrad who sat at the island eating cereal. Dakota could tell there was some underlying tension between Conrad and his sister. Of course, he got yelled at by her for crashing her date, but it didn't bother him much. His mind was too focused on the texts River sent him the night before.

He did, however, end up apologizing to Liz. The girl simply rolled her eyes, but it didn't seem like she had held much of a grudge since she sat next to him and spoke to him that morning.

"Golden brown and crisp. That's how it's supposed to look." Steven says pulling Dakota out of his thoughts.

"How's it going over there ?" Laurel asks from the stove

"Look at these pancakes."

"It's ready." Susannah says. Liz and Dakota look over as Belly walks into the kitchen.

"Morning, everyone." Belly smiles

"Happy birthday." Dakota says loudly

"Hey !" Everyone exclaims

"There's the birthday girl, looking like a vision in floral. Happy birthday." Susannah smiles as she hugs her.

Belly laughs as Jeremiah walks up to her, "Happy sweet sixteen, Bells."

"Happy birthday." Liz comes up beside her as she wraps her arm around her shoulder. Belly's smile widens as she turns to fully hug her.

"Now Belly Button's getting old finally. Happy birthday." Steven says as he eats a piece of bacon.

"Thanks, everyone." Belly says

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." Laurel says as she hugs her.

"Thanks, Mom." She says as she pulls away.

"Your Mickey Mouse pancakes are ready." Laurel smiles

"Actually, I'm not really, uh, hungry." Belly says

"Oh." Laurel says quietly. Dakota's frown was evident as he looked at Belly

"Shall we open gifts ?" Susannah shrugs

"Oh, you're gonna love mine." Jeremiah says holding up his gift. Belly smiles as Liz looks towards Conrad who stays silent.

______________________________________

Everyone sat in the living room as Belly opened her gift from Laurel. Dakota internally cringing at the book she pulled out.

"It's a first edition. I got it from a rare book dealer."

"Thanks, Mom." Belly nods.

"Turn to the bookmarked page." Laurel smiles. She turns to Susannah, "It's your favorite poem."