Eight

The next few weeks passed in a blur. I'd hardly had a minute to myself as the new year started and students had arrived, which meant classes started as well, and I found myself getting stuck into work again. 

I rarely saw Leonora since the day I had a panic attack. We'd both been so caught up with work, that we didn't get a chance to talk properly. I wasn't sure whether to be grateful for the distance between us, but it gave me a chance to focus on work instead of drowning in my problems. My finger-glow was fully functional again, which the School-Master was pleased about and I actually found myself enjoying teaching classes again. 

The only time I got to completely relax was when I was with Clarissa and Emma over at the good school during my breaks. We'd become like a trio, which was surprising since I was a villain, but the two had slowly grown on me in the time I'd been working here. They were also my most supportive colleagues about Sage's death affecting me and would always pull me away for little chats. 

'Okay, I want a three page essay on magical contracts, and anyone who doesn't turn it in on time gets a fail!' I announced to my History class, dismissing them for dinner. 

I waited until the last student left, before closing the classroom door and opening a window a crack, as I lit up a cigarette. I'd recently taken up smoking to cope with the stresses of this job. 

I leaned back in my chair, closing my eyes and relishing in the sudden quiet. 

Knock knock!

I opened my eyes, looking at the door in annoyance. Who was brave enough to come and disturb me this time?

'What?' I yelled. 

Clarissa came rushing in. 'It's me, Katherine. We've got a situation and need help!' 

'What are you talking about?' I frowned, taking a long drag of my cigarette. 

'There's a dragon trying to get into the school gates.' 

'Again?' I muttered in disgust, stubbing my cigarette out. 'Fine, I'm coming.' 

I followed Clarissa outside and to the gate where we could hear the occasional banging, growling and occasionally the edges of the gate lit up with fire. Emma, Yuba, Helena, and Leonora were also there. 

'Right, Yuba, have you got the poppy powder that will knock it out?' Clarissa asked. 

He held up a bag. 'Here.' 

'Katherine, are you ready to put its fire out, as soon as we open the gates?' 

'Aye.' I nodded, concentrating on the lake in the distance behind us, summoning some water at the ready. 

'And the rest of us will be keeping it at bay, putting shields back up and shooting spells at it.' Clarissa confirmed. 'When you're ready, Yuba.' 

Yuba opened the gates to reveal a jet black scaly dragon about the size of the dining hall, looking very angry. It opened its mouth which glowed orange, before I quickly shot a stream of water in it, dousing the fire. It screeched, attempting to advance, but Dovey, Lesso, Anemone and Helena started shooting barrier spells at it, forcing it back. We all advanced, until we were out of the school boundaries, and Yuba swiftly shut the gates behind us, as the dragon attempted to shoot fire again, and I quickly stopped it with some water. 

'Now would be a good time, Yuba!' Anemone yelled. 'We can't hold it for long!' 

Yuba opened the bag and shook the poppy powder out and into the air, which I directed to blow straight at the dragon, so the poppy dust hit it square in the face, and it let out a weak bellow before slumping to the ground, unconscious.